protecting catcher's legs/knees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Jen Schro from UCLA is another great coach to follow. She has some good vids on YouTube.

I looked at a couple of those videos - very positive and high energy. I am not a fan of rapid fire reps in general, whether it be quick toss in hitting or blocking/throwing in catching. Too easy to overlook technique flaws which can be come ingrained through repitition. Obviously from the few clips I watched I can't tell how she advances and develops her students, but I prefer quality over quantity and practicing perfect execution first and then working on doing it faster later. I also don't like what seems to be her recommended stance for runners on (IMO it prioritizes throwing at the expense of blocking) nor throwing from the knees as the primary option.

May 23, 2013
Obviously once you've perfected the basics of receiving, blocking center left and right, framing, pitch calling, footwork for throw downs to 1st 2nd and 3rd, mastered the proper grip and arm positioning for throws, and finally calling defenses then you can start making it more challenging by speeding up the drills. Which performed correctly allow the catcher to not only become more explosive, feared behind the plate, it also builds player's confidence in their position.
Remember, slow is fast.
As far as stances go with runners on base, we personally set our catcher up in a ready stance, hand behind the glove, on the balls of her feet , and because she's a lefty work the outside corners to righty's or inside corners to lefty's.
She has a pop to pop of 2.2-2.45 seconds on a rope or one bounce into 2nd base. Which is not too bad for a 10U lefty. Her release times from catch to release avg between .7-1.1 seconds.
So with solid fundamentals, professional coaches like Jen, and our high school coach, who have both played at the D1 level, they ;)will continue to be our source for challenging our catchers. As far as throwing from the knees, it totally up to the catcher. We have them try it after they have shown a solid understanding of catch pop and throw.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
SF - Don't get me wrong, sounds like you've found great catching resources for your DD and she's being exposed to quality instruction and training that few catchers are fortunate to experience. That said, IMO, as with anything, its important to understand not only what they are being are being taught, but also the rationale for it. Re the runners on stance, the concern I have is that the staggered feet would seem to make it very difficult to execute a squared up block to control the ball when the bottom half starts turned, particularly the dirt ball to the catcher's glove side. IME, even through 16U, more bases are gained via WP/PB than SB so I perceive that as the priority, particularly when the catcher in question exhibits a strong arm and good pop time which has a way of discouraging SB attempts.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Best way to protect the legs/kness of your DD is to not let her use a mit. She still has several throw outs...She don't mind doing it once in a while, when needed, and when we are ahead... JMHO