Progression of a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I often get asked when it "happened" with my DD in the circle. As I watch parents with younger pitchers out there pushing their DD's along. I have been giving some thought to it lately, and wanted to share my DD's timeline. Not so much to boast, but to show that it is absolutely a marathon and not a sprint. I hope this is helpful to the newer bucket parents.

8 YOA - 9 YOA- We would practice a couple times a week- I was excited if I only had to chase every other pitch. DD was not a very good player. She didn't practice much and I didn't push her.
10YOA- The end of the season she put some extra work into practice and was able to start just throwing strikes to batters. Still had walks and was probably her teams 3rd or 4th option. She actually showed at end of year she wanted to pitch.
11YOA- SHE decided she wanted to be a pitcher. We would wake up before work and school 3 times a week and pitch in the morning. She started being consistent. Walks were reduced drastically, while her speed was improving and she started getting strikeouts. Moved up to her #1 pitcher in REC and on her All Star team.
12YOA- Continued to work hard and progress. Started playing travel ball on a decent team. Also played REC, although she sort of outgrew the league. Was #1 pitcher for All Star team and on her Travel team. Probably topped out at 45-50 MPH. Learned the screw ball and drop ball. Could throw them for strikes. Even though they didn't really move, she was able to put the different spins on the ball and that was a very big step.
13YOA- Started the fall season on a 14U travel team and did great. Finally started winning tournaments and getting a reputation as a good pitcher on the travel scene. That summer she made a 16U travel team and was the #2 pitcher. She topped out in the low 50's and got a little better moving the ball. Played against a lot of HS kids as a 7th grader. Gave her the confidence to compete anywhere. She even guest played for an 18U team within our organization and got to pitch against a nationally recognized team and did well.
14YOA- Stayed on the 16U team and really developed as a pitcher. Started understanding how to move hitters eyes and get quality batters out. Team had two pitchers that were co #1's. She would get every other game. Speed was now just over mid 50's. Went to a couple college camps and speed and spin were recorded. She was now throwing as hard as most of the older girls and had better spin.
15YOA- Freshman year of HS. She was starting pitcher in HS. Travel team moved up to 18U and she was clear #1. Got a ton of press in HS and competed with some quality teams from around the country in TB. Started to add the riseball more frequently in the games. Speed consistently in the upper 50's, now with 4 pitches she could throw with confidence.
16YOA- Just started her Sophomore year. Had an excellent fall exposure season. Pitches are now hitting 60mph. I can no longer catch her spin pitches after dark. Not sure if that is my age or her movement:) D1 college coaches are asking about her to TB coach. She has her list of schools she would like to attend. Some are D1 and some are D2. Good games are no longer about wins or losses. We actually look at every inning pitched. We mainly look to put up zero's every inning. For example, last weekend she pitched 10 innings and allowed 1 run against some good teams from all over the country. As we get back into HS season, she will start focusing on winning the games, along with putting up zero's.

Her practice time has reduced as she matured. We now look to get two quality practices a week. That along with her game schedule is a lot of pitching. She is allowed to be a teenager and go out with her friends. If I made her practice 4 nights a week, she would hate it and be less productive. I feel like She is in more control of her conditioning and readiness. When she was younger, I would make her do things. Now she knows what she needs to do and I allow her to dictate how she prepares (within reason). I am ready to really enjoy the rest of her playing years. I hope the long hours and persistence has made her a better player. More importantly, I hope it has made her a better person. Learning how to prepare and compete will only benefit her in the future. I still have about 7 more years to enjoy her pitching. Time to sit back and be her biggest fan.

May 31, 2012
Thanks for the post. My dd is 12 and I wonder how other kids made it. What their path was. Send me a message if you don't mind I'd like to know what team your dd is on. We are also from florida.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs