Product Review: Pocket Radar Ball Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If you are into pitching at all, or work with pitchers, you've probably heard about the Pocket Radar. It's a device about the size of a mobile phone that makes it easy to gun pitch speeds, overhand throws, exit speed of the ball off the bat and (allegedly) the speed of car w
PocketRadarBallCoach.jpg
hizzing through your neighborhood.

I recently upgraded from the original Pocket Radar to the new Ball Coach version. While it's an $100 more expensive than the original, I feel like it's worth the extra money. The Pocket Radar Ball Coach retails for $299, which is still considerably less that a Jugs or Stalker gun - and it does a very comparable job.

The thing that got me to upgrade (other than a $100 rebate being offered for sending the old one back) was the ease of use. With the original Pocket Radar you had to time pushing the button just right to get the maximum speed. It was as much an art as it was a science.

The new version takes that timing issue out of it. In other words, it's radar speed measurement for dummies. With the Ball Coach version, you point the unit at the source of the pitch, hold down the big blue button (as opposed to a red button on the original) and keep holding it until you get a speed reading. Nothing could be simpler.

When I first got the new version I immediately tried it next to my Jugs gun. While they didn't always match exactly, they were always within 1 mph of one another. Sometimes the Pocket Radar read higher, sometimes the Jugs gun did. But close enough for my purposes.

The real acid test, though, came this past weekend when I took it to a couple of games and (somewhat) discretely timed the pitchers from behind the backstop. In one case I was well behind it. But it seemed to give me good readings on all the pitchers.

Another advantage to the Pocket Radar Ball Coach is the ability to have it automatically take up to 25 reading in automatic mode. You can set it up on a tripod or a mobile phone holder, click through to automatic mode, and it will give you the readings. You can then page through to see what the player got - which is great for batting practice, pitching practice or whatever.

If you're reading this in Canada, or anywhere else that uses the metric system, you'll be glad to know the Pocket Radar Ball Coach can be switched to read in kilometers per hour. The instructions explain how.

The Pocket Radar Ball Coach comes with a handy soft shell pouch that clips onto your belt. That's another nice upgrade over the original, which came with a hard shell case you had to keep in your pocket. I still kept mine in my pocket, but it takes up less space. In addition to the case it also comes with a wrist strap and a pair of AA batteries (Eveready alkaline batteries, not those cheap no-name ones that often come with many electronics these days.

If you're at all interested in measuring speed I can highly recommend the Pocket Radar Ball Coach. With its (relatively) low cost, high accuracy and ease of use it's a great investment.

More...

Apr 30, 2015
World's First Hands-Free iOS Speed Radar App

Perhaps we might convince you to review an iOS speed radar app, Athla Velocity?

Velocity is the first and only professional, hands-free iOS speed radar app that has been calibrated to within +/- 0.7 mph of a $1,200 Stalker II Pro.
iTunes Link
Athla Velocity Webpage

Contact me and I would be happy to give you a free download token to unlock all the radars for your review.

FacebookAds.001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi