Freshman Swing Part Deux

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
Well since all the cool kids are doing it, I have to join in. Have at it.

PS: 72 is her top exit speed measured this night. Out of 10 pitches, broke 70 probably 4 times. This is actually the first time her EV has been measured.
Measured on a Pocket Radar.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

PS: 72 is her top exit speed measured this night. Out of 10 pitches, broke 70 probably 4 times. This is actually the first time her EV has been measured.

Gets a little forward, a little weight shift. The back foot therefor drags forward. Perhaps a little a HR Derby-ish.

Not bad really.

I don’t think any of them are bad hitters.

I think she can be quicker. If she learned how to turn the barrel a little deeper.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Nice set up and great swing. Very powerful. 72 mph swing will have the ball leaving the yard often. Makes good use of her core. Is that front toss or machine pitch?
One thing I noticed is at contact her back foot is off the ground. She not a one legged hitter and hits the ball out in front.
I like that her eyes stay on the point of contact after the ball is gone. That is a great habit to get into.
And the best part is, she is having fun.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
dfp-2023-0121.jpg

At toe touch:
1. I like the flat rear forearm
2. Her bat is too flat. Bring the bat head up to 55 deg. Causes her to drag it slowly. Use leverage, not muscle.
3. She rolls her front knee over and lands on her heel. So she has no way to trigger the knee to roll and straighten on time. Don't roll the front knee over before landing, and/or try not to land on the heel.

Notice the knee rollover prevents her front leg from straightening until after ball contact. She's losing lots of EV here. Also, notice her front hip doesn't push backwards like it should and the rear hip is forced to gate swing around the front hip. This is very slow - use the radius, not the diameter of the hips for much faster rotation. (this is caused by the early front knee roll)
dfp-2023-0121.gif

May 21, 2018
Nice set up and great swing. Very powerful. 72 mph swing will have the ball leaving the yard often. Makes good use of her core. Is that front toss or machine pitch?
One thing I noticed is at contact her back foot is off the ground. She not a one legged hitter and hits the ball out in front.
I like that her eyes stay on the point of contact after the ball is gone. That is a great habit to get into.
And the best part is, she is having fun.
This is off front toss. I've been taking her to a new hitting coach for a couple of weeks. In the past she has tended to have a very upper body dominated swing. Hits for a high average, but not enough power. Everything was to the right side. She went 4 for 9 this weekend and hit everything to the left side and up the middle. All singles, but all solid line drives, so it's progress.

May 21, 2018
View attachment 27259

At toe touch:
1. I like the flat rear forearm
2. Her bat is too flat. Bring the bat head up to 55 deg. Causes her to drag it slowly. Use leverage, not muscle.
3. She rolls her front knee over and lands on her heel. So she has no way to trigger the knee to roll and straighten on time. Don't roll the front knee over before landing, and/or try not to land on the heel.

Notice the knee rollover prevents her front leg from straightening until after ball contact. She's losing lots of EV here. Also, notice her front hip doesn't push backwards like it should and the rear hip is forced to gate swing around the front hip. This is very slow - use the radius, not the diameter of the hips for much faster rotation. (this is caused by the early front knee roll)
View attachment 27260
2. yeah, totally agree, that's a work in progress.
3. I understand what you are saying, but not sure how to relay that information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101