Problem with DD's coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks for all the responses, it all helps.
DD had another game today. She was behind the plate for the whole game and went 2 for 2 with a single, a double and 2 rbis. Coach had nothing positive to offer but she had a good time and that's what matters. I was being a whiny dope, letting old issues resurface. I thought I might need to pull her for mental health reasons, but she's ok, it's her parents who have the problem.
Amy- I know what you're talking about and I typically stay out of it and try to let the coaches coach. he ripped DD a new one as she perceived it. He's basically a good guy. a character, a bit eccentric, a bit loud and a bit of a jackass. When the coach is always down on you, a little unnecessary yelling goes a long way. He yelled at her because watching a called third strike is a pet peeve of his. her past performance made no difference, not that he even knew. Since that time, I've been trying to teach her that you have to be able to hit the balls that are close to being strikes, not just the strikes. So something good did come from it. but not from him. also I learned what it feels like for your kids team to win a championship and you genuinely don't care.

May 7, 2008
Her emotional and mental health is as, if not more important, than skill development at this point in her life. I couldn't agree more strongly with Amy. When coaches, parents, teachers, etc. begin messing with these areas (deliberately), it is an abuse of power. It can affect her confidence and her inner dialogue in all areas of life. Some folks may look at "quitting" and "resigning" as synonymous, but they are not. The heart of a quitter gives up or is angry for not getting their way. The heart of a resigner assesses the damages and potential consequences for themselves. Everyone must have some sense of self-empowerment. If she can provide good reasons for resigning, support her. If she is quitting to run away, depending on how much damage is done, you may suggest to her to detach and discover how it feels to overcome adversity. Everyone I meet in life is an example to me...I teach my kids a lot about character this way. Best wishes...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi