Pre-season guarantees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I was talking to a parent tonight about possibly joining a team I am forming. His daughter has played for me before, so he knows how I coach.

He asked several questions which were pretty much the norm. Then came his big question -- would I guarantee his daughter would play a particular position 95% of the time.

I, of course, told him no. I don't guarantee anyone anything. It's all performance-based, and I like to develop more than one player at every position because you never know when an injury, illness or something else is going to come along.

Later on I was thinking -- I wonder what he would say if I asked that he guarantee his daughter gets on base 95% of the time, or gets to 95% of the balls hit/thrown her way at the position he wants her at?

I'm sure there are coaches who will guarantee a position or playing time. At least when they're in the recruiting phase anyway. Don't think I'm going to get this one. Too bad, because she's a good player.

How about you guys? Anyone ever ask for a guarantee from a coach? If so, did you get it? Any coaches out there willing to guarantee positions or playing time?

May 11, 2012
I wouldnt ever trust any coach who promises stuff like that. I have coached many D1 athletes and I have heard some coaches promise things like playing time. places on the dpeth chart etc..... I told the parents just like Im saying now. He is either a liar and promising things he wont follow through with OR he will follow through with promises and wont have a very good team or any type of true competition. Either way, people who make promises like that cannot be trusted and anyone who wants promises like that isnt worth having on a team IMO.

Good for you coach!

When parents wanted promises from me, I told them the only things I can promise is that I will treat your child as if they were my own, I will not be out worked by any other coaches and that I will be fair to every single person on the team.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
When my DD was a 2nd year 12U, we were debating on which way to go with her team. She wanted to move up with her friends on the 14U team, but she was a young 12's. The 14U coach gave me the number to the 12U coach. When I called, I asked her if my DD would get to play infield. She promised us infield time. If she would have said no, we would have moved up and played the outfield. That season my DD started off catching and playing LF. By the end of the season, her and the other catcher were switching off at 3rd instead of left.

We were not a commodity at the time. DD was still very new to the game, but had a lot of passion. We had been practicing with a mixed 14/12 team. Looking back, I don't regret the decision at all. And I am glad she "promised" us. But honestly, she spent a lot more time in left than behind the plate early on.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I think you've got it right, Ken. Only death and taxes can be guaranteed. Neither I or my DD would want her to have anything to do with a softball team where anything more than an opportunity to earn a position or playing time were guaranteed. Regardless of which side of the fence you're on, the guaranteed road most often leads to an unhappy team and unhappy ending for all.

I never want to hear the words guranatee out of a coaches mouth unless it is he/she giving me a guarantee that my DD will have a fair opportunity to compete for a spot week in and out.

Any parent that asks for guaranteed playing time at a certain spot is only cheating their child out of the learning experience that is competition. It comes in handy on the softball field and in everything you do in life.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think I might ask and if you gave me one would probably look for another Team. If you are guaranteeing my DD a position who knows what else you are guaranteeing to other Players.

I think you had the right answer too.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I never want to hear the words guranatee out of a coaches mouth unless it is he/she giving me a guarantee that my DD will have a fair opportunity to compete for a spot week in and out.

Any parent that asks for guaranteed playing time at a certain spot is only cheating their child out of the learning experience that is competition. It comes in handy on the softball field and in everything you do in life.

Well said.

Of course, there are certain things that should be guaranteed without having to ask. One is that the coach will have a philosophy/plan for player usage and stick to it. For example, it's certainly fair to ask a coach if he/she plans to use his roster - Will he/she bat everybody, or have some who rarely bat; use pickup players for competitive advantage, or for emergencies, etc. I think it's fair to ask for a guarantee that the coach will not waffle on those kinds of things.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Promising someone a specific spot is dangerous and as the parent retells the conversation it will not be a good thing for team morale. Even if the girl deserves the position, you have to be far and give everyone a chance to earn the opportunity to play there. My dd is a pitcher, The team she is playing with next year will have more pitching then the previous years. I love the idea that she will have to compete for her circle time, It will be good for her to have to focus on the spot and win it.

Feb 16, 2012
My DD is a pitcher and utility player. I never ask for a guarantee but I do want to know the coach's philosophy on pitching time/rotation. If they guarantee me anything I am running the other way. I have been a coach and now am a parent. I know nothing is a guarantee. The only thing I want to hear is league and pool play everyone will have time in the circle....come bracket play whoever is the best will pitch. Make everyone work for their spot and I am fine. How do I know that he/she hasn't promised the same thing to someone else.

Ken.. you ave the right answer but somehow I think you already know that. I don't want to hear promises I want to hear plan for this year and their vision up till they go off to college.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Ken-I too have had that question posed in the past. I hesitated the first time before saying
'of course I cannot promise playing time'. Since then I have made it clear that playing time
is earned by the player. (not by the dad)

A close friend of mine feels obligated to play one girl who is not very good because the
dad always has an open checkbook.....this is a ticking time bomb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207