Practicing without gear? My dd was injured

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
Today my 9 yo dd's coach let her practice without gear on and he pitched one to her and pegged her in the upper abdomen/chest. She fell to the ground and it knocked the wind out of her. I'm fuming because I know this injury could have been prevented, and I keep thinking about the what ifs. Is this a normal thing to do...practice without gear, I mean? He hasn't even bothered to contact me to tell me about the incident, nor did he mention it to my husband when he picked her up. I feel like he was totally irresponsible and I want to raise some hell with him and the organization, but maybe that is over the top? Tell me how to handle this, please!

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Practicing without gear seems pointless and irresponsible, and on the face of it having a stern talk with the coach or the organization's coaching coordinator seems appropriate. But it is always better to have all the facts before you raise hell. If there were any other adults around, you should ask them what happened.

You should also tell your daughter to wear proper gear every time she catches pitches; she can tell the coach that otherwise her parents won't allow her to play anymore.

If someone breaks a finger or gets a concussion, the coach must tell the parents. But the coach won't do that every time someone stumbles and scrapes her knee. In theory, the coach may have thought this was more a scraped-knee kind of situation, whereas you obviously feel it was at the other end of the spectrum. Maybe more likely he knows he was at fault, and hoped he could avoid bringing it up.

Apr 19, 2011
i'm sorry..i realized that I posted this in the wrong forum, but i wasn't sure how to delete it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32