Practices during TB Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I forgot to mention we are 18U. We are fortunate to have at least 4 coaches at any given time for 12 girls so they really keep it moving

Mar 26, 2013
A lot of variables depending on field availability and the team's age and composition. Younger teams comprised of local players will often hold frequent short practices (e.g. 2 hours). Other teams draw from very wide areas, so they practice together less frequently and hold longer ones when they do (e.g. 4-8 hours). Players on these teams do a lot on their own - hitting, pitching, catching, fielding and strength/speed training.

Are all 10 events tournaments or are some pure showcases (i.e. 5-6 pool games, no bracket)? Playing 10 straight events is a grind by itself, especially if you're playing a lot of bracket games. If you're planning to play in a national event at the end of the season, you shouldn't wear your team out before that.

Some light low-impact exercise (e.g. walking, biking, swimming, yoga?) and stretching on off days is beneficial. A gym may not be necessary.

Apr 14, 2014
Kansas City
We do two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday. We are on the field on Tuesdays and then we hit and pitch in our facility on Thursdays. I don't usually hit outside, unless we absolutely need to work on it. Once we are heavy into our travel ball season I will occasionally give one the weeknights off depending on if I feel the girls need recovery time. Usually it will be the outdoor practice that we take off.

For me it is really a feeling out process. For instance this weekend we played 7 games and ran long into Sunday evening. So we gave them Tuesday off to recover. I would prefer they rest and take advantage of the breaks we get during the season. Once the season starts, we don't do any weekend practices unless absolutely necessary.

Hope this helps!

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Mon and Fri non tournament weeks. Mon and Thurs batting on tournament weekend. Play first morning game flat then there will be a Saturday morning practice following weekend starting at 6 am. 3 hour practices are normal except on some of the Fridays. Also girls are required to run 4 miles a week Tues-Thurs.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD's 10U team - Tues 3 hr practice, Thurs hitting, Sat 3 hr practice (unless friendly or tournament).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission