Practice Plan

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
You have an hour and a half, 18 girls and 2 coaches.....how do you run the practice...drills, situations, etc....ready, go....

Aug 20, 2017
Basic Plan (hour and half probably not long enough for this but you can cut what you need to not go over)

Stretch/Throw: use 2-3 throwing drills working back, cut drills and run-down drills at the end

Indy Defense (outfield and infield split)
OF: leadup drills, any stationary ball drills, machine fly balls, coach hit ground ball

INF: Leadup drills, positional drills, fungos, bunt coverages, 1st/3rd stuff

Team Defense: use base runners and rep each situation with ground balls and fly balls

Offensive Period
Front toss BP ( pitchers/catchers first if bullpens needed), leave a tee and screen set up to the side for tee work

Offensive Situations (use your signal system) and call bunts, steals etc vs 9 on defense and swap

Basic Plan structure, must have at least two assistants, make sure you infielders work in outfield some and vice versa. Mix it up daily, ad and subtract things as needed.

Jun 8, 2016
Attached is a practice plan I sent out to the team for the first practice for the Rec coach pitch team I am coaching. Considering these are 6 to 8 YO boys I am sure there will be some (probably fairly large) modifications I will need to make in terms of the timing of everything but this is what I am starting with. Practice is 1.5 hours.

Attachments

• practice_3_7_21.pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020
The nice part about that age is all the tee work, soft toss, warm-up, and repetitive drills they can do on their own once you get them started. So I would station it out with coaching being done on IF/OF situations, and girls running their own tees/soft toss/pitching/catching on the side.

Feb 21, 2017
Basic Plan (hour and half probably not long enough for this but you can cut what you need to not go over)

Stretch/Throw: use 2-3 throwing drills working back, cut drills and run-down drills at the end

Indy Defense (outfield and infield split)
OF: leadup drills, any stationary ball drills, machine fly balls, coach hit ground ball

INF: Leadup drills, positional drills, fungos, bunt coverages, 1st/3rd stuff

Team Defense: use base runners and rep each situation with ground balls and fly balls

Offensive Period
Front toss BP ( pitchers/catchers first if bullpens needed), leave a tee and screen set up to the side for tee work

Offensive Situations (use your signal system) and call bunts, steals etc vs 9 on defense and swap

Basic Plan structure, must have at least two assistants, make sure you infielders work in outfield some and vice versa. Mix it up daily, ad and subtract things as needed.

For HS, Cornbread did a great job. My only add is to make all aspects of the practice valuable. All our throwing drills have purpose, it isn’t just gab and toss...explain you need their attention for 90 minutes .

Like throwing drills my team does:
40 ft - Sway (think 2B->1B) & Twist one knee (think 2B->SS)
60-75ft force out (not lazy throws but real force out nose to knuckles behind glove) and tag out (straddle bag on 3 sides.
90+ft crow hop (think throwing out someone on a tag up, start with ball in glove)

Make them useful, show them 1-2 times in first couple practice and they should do them automatically.

The only other thing between stretch and throw would be every-days and if you are unfamiliar let me know.

CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If I had that many players and that few assistants, I'd want to break most practices up into two periods of 1.5hrs each. Really hard to get good reps and give good feedback with that many people. Yeah, older girls can run many of their own drills, but they can also solidify bad habits. Even harder to touch pitching and live hitting with so many. If I had to deal with that many in 1.5 hours, it would be throwing and then defense or offense (with maybe setting a defense), but I wouldn't try to do everything. DD's college team is about that big, and there are four assistants. The only time they're all on the same field together during a practice is when they're scrimmaging or discussing something that everyone needs to hear. Individual cage hitting and pitching is often spaced out. I know that doesn't work so well with school-age.

Aug 20, 2017
For HS, Cornbread did a great job. My only add is to make all aspects of the practice valuable. All our throwing drills have purpose, it isn’t just gab and toss...explain you need their attention for 90 minutes .

Like throwing drills my team does:
40 ft - Sway (think 2B->1B) & Twist one knee (think 2B->SS)
60-75ft force out (not lazy throws but real force out nose to knuckles behind glove) and tag out (straddle bag on 3 sides.
90+ft crow hop (think throwing out someone on a tag up, start with ball in glove)

Make them useful, show them 1-2 times in first couple practice and they should do them automatically.

The only other thing between stretch and throw would be every-days and if you are unfamiliar let me know.

CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! I call “every days” lead up drills. Take the time to teach them in the beginning. May take about 15-20 minutes the first few times but after they understand what to do it only takes 5 minutes. You can add and subtract to these daily as you see needs arise.
One other very important thing: players have to take every rep as if a live game is going on! Game speed! Our motto last year was EVERY REP! High standards! Get your yelling out at practice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA