Practice Makes Perfect

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I just got through watching Mr. Weaver's catching video for the third time in a week and all I can say is wow!! I learn and understand more each time I watch it.

My question is we know practice makes perfect, or close anyway. My thought is, especially in the 10u and 12u groups, with the no one on position if the catcher could change to the runner on position and try to block every ball in the dirt. This would not only give the catcher game time blocking experience, practice, and confidence, but would also instill confidence in the pitcher that she need not worry about pitches in the dirt because the catcher is going to stop it. I could see doing this in the first two or three innings of a game, but it could be physically tiring to the catcher if were done all the time.

Your thoughts?

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
My DD has been taught to block every ball. This is just the way we do it. She takes each steal personally and she works hard to be in front of everything that is pitched at her. Not that she stops them all, but she works at it.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
I agree with 99. Every pitch is important, no matter if runners are on our not. Catching is the most physically demanding position to play (squating, blocking, wearing the gear etc etc), so the catcher should be strong enough to handle it, and have the passion to play through the heat and pain. Lazy catchers can have a negative effect on her teammates, even if the game isn't on the line.

Jul 28, 2008
we know practice makes perfect

I disagree. Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

As for your catchers, they should try to block every ball. I would not, however, have them in the runner on position. You will wear your catcher out faster. Have them block from the squatting position instead. It's easier on their legs. They will get it after awhile.

Good luck

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I just got through watching Mr. Weaver's catching video for the third time in a week and all I can say is wow!! I learn and understand more each time I watch it.

My question is we know practice makes perfect, or close anyway. My thought is, especially in the 10u and 12u groups, with the no one on position if the catcher could change to the runner on position and try to block every ball in the dirt. This would not only give the catcher game time blocking experience, practice, and confidence, but would also instill confidence in the pitcher that she need not worry about pitches in the dirt because the catcher is going to stop it. I could see doing this in the first two or three innings of a game, but it could be physically tiring to the catcher if were done all the time.

Your thoughts?

First, DD is a U16 catcher and has been a student of Coach Weaver's clinics, camps, lessons and has the DVD. If physical endurance was not an issue, one would catch in the runner's on stance the entire game and be properly set up to block every single pitch regardless of whether there are runners on or not. As a former college catcher, I'll personally attest to the fact that endurance is a real issue and thus there is a need for 2 stances, particularly if a C is playing more than 1 game a day. That said, the more practice blocking from the runners on position stance, the stronger and better your DD will become, whether its during a game, practice, catching pitching lessons, in the backyard, or in the livingroom watching TV etc.

Coach Weaver's DVD lays the basic foundation for becoming an elite catcher.

Follow it, work hard, and have fun - GM

hen

Dec 1, 2010
100% agree with greenmonsters. If she gets tired, don't be surprised if her form goes south in the later innings. That's not the form you want to reinforce, and at that point, safety could become an issue if she neglects to protect her hand or tuck the chin.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Both in games and when they have an opportunity to catch our pitchers in practice, I expect them to try and stop every pitch. Kind of a contradiction but in practice if the ball gets by them I tell them to leave the ball go if they miss it. In a game they need to run to any ball that gets by them then make a good confident throw to someone, the pitcher if no one is on base. They are allowed to lollygag and get setup while the pitcher and batter are getting ready.

We are a young enough Team where we alternate catchers but still have been in games where you could tell the catchers were getting worn out. To me it always seemed to have to do with it being hot weather. The catcher rules change a little bit when it is really hot out.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Thanks for a great discussion. My DGD is a good little catcher for only playing softball for 18 months. And she does hustle on the field and does try to block every pitch and on a pass ball tries to get the ball back to the pitcher as quickly as possible. And she is in really great shape (well she was, she took the last month off to heal). I was just concerned if she should be in the runners on position vs no runners on position when no runner was on just to practice during a game. I would hate for her to get worn out doing this and not be able to function properly at the end of the game or the next games to follow. I guess the best way is to do it both ways in the first couple of tournaments next year and see how she reacts as every girl is different. She does practice blocking with the pitchers as much as possible during practice and when practicing with her personal coach. But you just can't beat game experience. And I don't think I would do this with the older age groups as they have more experience and don't have as many down and dirty balls thrown.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi