Power V

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Scenario: 3 different coaches - 3 different definition for Power V= 1 confused batter

Coach 1: ex-mlb player - power v is shape front arm is in prior to contact & extension
Coach 2: '90s D1 softball player - power v is the upside down shape of hands on bat with both elbows pointed at the ground in your "ready" stance, preferably a "skinny v"
Coach 3: TB coach - shape of back arm at launch

Personally, I hate Coach 2 Power V - for me and for DD - it leads to dropping the barrel and pop ups or accidental weak ground balls. I know it's worked for some but it's not for all. It seams this was popular in the 90s. Being a 70/80s kid - I missed it.

So what is technically the correct "Power V"?

When I learned to hit, it wasn't so technical. Both eyes on pitcher, elbow level, turn your hips, loose hands and let it rip. I recall - shortest distance to the ball & swing like you mean it. Oh...and for goodness sakes don't swing like a girl. LOL

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Power V examples:
Coach 1: ex-mlb player - power v is shape front arm is in prior to contact & extension
LauSr_Charley_TAOH300_Page054_001.jpg

Power V after contact going into extension.
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

Probably why I don't hang out in the technical hitting forum
I hear you...........

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Power V examples:

LauSr_Charley_TAOH300_Page054_001.jpg

Rdbass ... This photo is not of a swing, but of a demonstration of the bat being able to reach the outer portion of the plate. CO would often use this as his mistaken interpretation of what he referred to as extension hitting. Basically he made up an enemy that wasn't real and then attacked the pretend enemy.

May 12, 2008
There are even more Vee's present than what you mentioned.

Yes, there is no "accepted" "standard" definition of terms nor agreement on swing mechanics in baseball or fastpitch. One reason why people referring to "proper" mechanics annoys me.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma