Possibly moving to Illinois-Whats the TB scene like?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2015
We could have a move in our future. Quad City area. I've got a 14U player and 12U player. Anything I should know?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The bars stay open later on the Illinois side. Harris Pizza kicks azz, especially if followed up with Whitey's Ice Cream. Oh...and the place under the bridge makes the best breakfast after the bars on the Illinois side....chili smothered hash browns!!! That about covers everything you need to know about QC.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My wife wanted me to add, "you'll be lost everyday because non of the streets go in cardinal directions and non are straight. We moved about 18 years ago.

Oh sb. I played a year for the QC Sox there (if you want to play). Ummm Firebirds are a quality club, Heartland Havoc another (for the girls).

Dec 11, 2010
RH, bad news. Ross's, home of the Magic Mountain is being demolished for a new I-74 bridge. I personally haven't been there after 7:00 p.m. lol! Haven't heard if they are relocating. Pretty cool that you have a connection to the area. That stadium has been renovated and it is a great place to watch a ball game.

6thseason, I sent you a pm. I would say one of the most important things to know is the differences in school ball. Illinois HS season just started and is over early in June and then they are free to play summer ball. In Illinois they can't Play or practice with a travel team during the hs season. Iowa plays hs sb in the summer and they often have HS games on Saturday and can play for a travel team on Sunday. SB seems like a constant juggling act for the Iowa girls once they get to hs.

And yes, Whitey's ice cream should be the first place you go. It took me awhile to get used to QC style pizza. I do like it. IAcoach, some time try Benny's in Milan. It's really good.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Also, in IL. there are some awesome middle school teams. They start play in 6th grade. Finding the right school district will be important. I would go very large, instead of very small.

Nov 29, 2009
I know we have a few members from that area but I cannot recall who they are.

If you haven’t yet you might want to look here(and maybe post the same question):

Midwest Fastpitch

For your own good. Stay off of the Midwest site. It's filled with a bunch of trolls. Read through some of the posts and you'll see why. There are many posters on there who need their children to proofread what they type.

Nov 29, 2009
RH Coach is right. The two major organizations are the Havoc and Firebirds. The Havoc have a really talented 10U team this year. If your DD can make that team next year she will see some success. Not sure about the softball environment for the 14/16U teams this year. For the most part the Quad Cities area usually has some pretty good teams. You should be able to find both of your DD's a place to play.

Good luck.

Nov 14, 2010
Silvis, IL
I second the motion to stay away from the Midwest fastpitch site. Its dominated by Chicago area folks who in general don't think anyone outside of the city limits can play ball.
My daughter is on the Quad City Firebirds 14u team and it will be her 5th year. The Firebirds and Heartland Havoc are the two largest in terms of number of age group teams, but there are several other good organizations such as Midwest Sluggers, Quad City Lady Hitman, Qc Shockers, and a few more I'm sure I forgot. There are several at the 12u age group, however the 14u age bracket is dominated by '01's. Just not a lot of girls born in 2000 it seems and it has been a noticeable issue every year. Our first tournament in 2 weeks has 18 14u teams registered however most are 01's. Us and Havoc will play 16u whenever possible this spring and most of the summer.
As mentioned above Illinois girls are not allowed to participate with Tb teams and be on high school roster so you will see a lot of combined teams in the spring. Both Us and Havoc has put together teams with 8th graders and Iowa girls to compete until the high school girls come back in early June.
Most area tournaments are USSSA sanctioned and a couple are ASA. We have a few large tournaments that do draw teams from Midwest and overall I would say that the competition is good. As far as Iowa team are concerned, many of the local travel ball teams tend to be feeder programs for their high schools and the girls are from the same geographic area. They are not little league by any means and are mostly well coached, it's just the way they build them.
As far as high schools, the Big 6 on the Illinois side is always full of competition with travel ball girls filling many roster spots. Overall I think you would find that the Quad City area softball scene is a good one. Feel free to drop me a message if you would like any other information and I'll help you out.
https://www.facebook.com/QuadCityFirebirdsUsa
Quad City Firebirds GSA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi