Positioning of 3rd baseman on throwdown from catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I prefer to leave this play out of my playbook. It's a high risk/low reward play. I can't think of when it last worked, but I can think of many times the ball ended up in left field with a run scored.

The reward is also high i.e., erasing a runner from third, at best, or shortening runners' leads, at worst. Its the difficulty of execution that is the drawback, but the probability of proper execution increases as they become more experienced. Running the pick off options without having the catcher throw sometimes is enough to curb the runners' aggressiveness. But if the runners continue to take liberties and there's an out begging to be made (and you've practiced the plays), let it fly!

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
The reward is also high i.e., erasing a runner from third, at best, or shortening runners' leads, at worst. Its the difficulty of execution that is the drawback, but the probability of proper execution increases as they become more experienced. Running the pick off options without having the catcher throw sometimes is enough to curb the runners' aggressiveness. But if the runners continue to take liberties and there's an out begging to be made (and you've practiced the plays), let it fly!
I agree. My DD will make that throw down every time if she has someone playing third that is ready for that throw. If she sees that the baserunner is taking a huge lead she will throw down to third and if the third baseman sees the runner take off she will throw it right back to my DD who will make the tag. If the runner gets back then chances are she won't take that big of a lead next time. We were at a tournament recently and the opposing coach yelled out to her baserunners "she WILL throw it down!" They stayed very close to the bases. So there is the intimidation factor...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I prefer to leave this play out of my playbook. It's a high risk/low reward play. I can't think of when it last worked, but I can think of many times the ball ended up in left field with a run scored.

My 10U DD nailed 2 runners last Friday who were pushing their lead at third. This is a play we practice, and execute with regularity.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Pitch location is the primary factor determining whether the catcher throws from in front (middle-outside) or behind (middle-inside) a RHB. The batter's position in the box is a secondary factor to consider - the further up in the box (i.e., closer to the pitcher) and the closer to the inside line of the batter's box the hitter stands, the more likely it is that the catcher will need to throw from behind the RHB.

A well-coached runner on 3B will extend their lead so as to be even or slightly beyond where the 3B is playing in towards home plate. A PICK OFF off attempt in this situation requires the 3B to receive the throw well in front of 3B/up the line towards home plate and is a bang-bang catch/tag or catch/swipe/tag play; therefore, the 3B needs to positioned inside the diamond in fair territory to avoid an obstruction call when trying to cross the foul line between the runner and the bag. Regardless of whether the throw will be from in front or behind the RHB, the catcher should not throw unless they have an open throwing lane. IMO, the better pick off play with a runner on 3B is to have the 3B creep in, hopefully drawing the runner with them, and make the throw to the SS covering at the bag. Off course, that can be a problem if the runner breaks on the throw! Which is why you may want to show the other option first! An occasional pump fake can also be effective.

No question that there is risk involved with any pick off throw to 3B; however, if you show that its an option that you are not afraid to use, it will keep the runners closer to the base and make it harder for them to score on an IF grounder or short WP even if you don't get the pick off out.

I like the coverage mentioned above. It gives two options for the pick-off, but this needs to be called by the coach or the catcher before the attempt, otherwise, with the throw down to the SS approaching 3B, the third-baseman will be in the way. When the attempt is made, I prefer the throw to the third-baseman who is slightly ahead of the runner up the baseline. However, I now believe that the risk of pick-off attempts at 3B are most often not worth the risk you bear (run scoring).

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Last year I had a catcher from a different team play with us for a few tournaments. She just loved hopping up and throwing down to 3B with a runner there. Problem was that it usually resulted in that runner scoring. For some reason, she just couldn't get through her head that is was high risk low reward.

Nov 18, 2013
It depends a lot on the age and level of play. If its 10U/12U or older age B level then its high risk/low reward. For older (A/Gold/Elite or whatever term of the day) is throwing down should be a routine play.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
It depends a lot on the age and level of play. If its 10U/12U or older age B level then its high risk/low reward. For older (A/Gold/Elite or whatever term of the day) is throwing down should be a routine play.

Depends on what you mean by a "routine" play. Keep in mind that the base-runners at those levels are also much better.

Jan 24, 2011
With my 16u team , we throw down quite a bit. I give the catchers free reign. We just don't view the play as high risk at all. More of a routine play. We have only thrown away one ball the entire season , but we have picked off plenty and caused many more to stay really close to the base.

Jul 23, 2014
My DD's B level team started doing this the last season of 10u. It was pretty routine for them and the C and 3B were well drilled on it. I'd say they got 5 kids out on it and I can only remember one ball going to left field. The C now has free reign to do it and the 3B is expected to be ready for it. Most often it takes 1-2 throws a game and the leads at 3rd shorten considerably even if they don't get the out.

Positioning-wise the 3B is always in fair territory and catcher throws in front of the hitter.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Depends on what you mean by a "routine" play. Keep in mind that the base-runners at those levels are also much better.

I think we can agree that runners on 3B do not take similar liberties in college games. Based on that, I think we can also agree that there is some level between 12u and 18U when the players' ability and execution increase to the point where former "aggressive" baserunning is considered "reckless" base running as the defense routinely makes the plays. Based on our described experiences, I simply think that the transition happens sooner than you seem to think.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles