Positioning of 3rd baseman on throwdown from catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Where should the 3rd basemand position themselves to receive a throwdown from the catcher on the pick off play? Since the runner would likely be in foul territory should they simply straddle the base facing the dugout? Not sure what creates the best angle for the catcher to throw to?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
With a runner on third, the 3B is probably playing in to defend the bunt/slap/cut the runner down at the plate. This means the 3B likely will not be able get back to the bag and will have to take the throw in front of the base. Regardless of whether the C throws from in front or behind the batter, the 3B will have to set up to take the throw in fair territory rather than risking obstructing the returning runner by trying to set up in foul territory. If for some reason the 3B is playing back by the bag with a runner on third and there is a pick off attempt, then they should set up straddling the bag and adjust to the catcher's throw.

FWIW - a catcher should be taught that their job is to throw to the base (whether 1st, 2nd, or 3rd) and that its the fielder's responsibility to get to where they're supposed to be to make the catch.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Regardless of whether the C throws from in front or behind the batter, the 3B will have to set up to take the throw in fair territory rather than risking obstructing the returning runner by trying to set up in foul territory.

General baseball practice is down foul and back fair, which is what I teach my runners. Should that not be the rule here?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In fastpitch softball I think the third-baseman needs to be up the line, at a minimum just a step or two in front of the lead off of the runner at third with her right foot on the inside edge of the foul line. A throw from the catcher to the third-baseman here is on option, one where the third-baseman catches the throw, hopefully right over the foul line and dives back at runner in foul territory. The short-stop should be cheated toward 3B maybe two steps and sprints over to the bag only when she sees that the ball is not hit. A throw from the catcher to the short-stop at the bag is another option. Hopefully this throw is just above the side of the bag the runner is going to be touching. This gives the catcher or coach two options for catcher throws to third depending on the behavior of the runner. Therefore, I think it should be a called play as to which player the ball is thrown to.

HOWEVER, my preference is to not throw down at all--too much risk. When we're offense with a runner at third, I want the defense throwing the ball. I prefer a quick throw-back to the pitcher who can quickly throw back to the catcher should the runner take off.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2014
Originally Posted by Greenmonsters
Regardless of whether the C throws from in front or behind the batter, the 3B will have to set up to take the throw in fair territory rather than risking obstructing the returning runner by trying to set up in foul territory.
General baseball practice is down foul and back fair, which is what I teach my runners. Should that not be the rule

You need a clear throwing path, so read the runner and make a play..
Runner in fair, throw is behind batter
Runner is foul, throw in front

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Originally Posted by Greenmonsters
General baseball practice is down foul and back fair, which is what I teach my runners. Should that not be the rule

You need a clear throwing path, so read the runner and make a play..
Runner in fair, throw is behind batter
Runner is foul, throw in front

Pitch location is the primary factor determining whether the catcher throws from in front (middle-outside) or behind (middle-inside) a RHB. The batter's position in the box is a secondary factor to consider - the further up in the box (i.e., closer to the pitcher) and the closer to the inside line of the batter's box the hitter stands, the more likely it is that the catcher will need to throw from behind the RHB.

A well-coached runner on 3B will extend their lead so as to be even or slightly beyond where the 3B is playing in towards home plate. A PICK OFF off attempt in this situation requires the 3B to receive the throw well in front of 3B/up the line towards home plate and is a bang-bang catch/tag or catch/swipe/tag play; therefore, the 3B needs to positioned inside the diamond in fair territory to avoid an obstruction call when trying to cross the foul line between the runner and the bag. Regardless of whether the throw will be from in front or behind the RHB, the catcher should not throw unless they have an open throwing lane. IMO, the better pick off play with a runner on 3B is to have the 3B creep in, hopefully drawing the runner with them, and make the throw to the SS covering at the bag. Off course, that can be a problem if the runner breaks on the throw! Which is why you may want to show the other option first! An occasional pump fake can also be effective.

No question that there is risk involved with any pick off throw to 3B; however, if you show that its an option that you are not afraid to use, it will keep the runners closer to the base and make it harder for them to score on an IF grounder or short WP even if you don't get the pick off out.

Last edited:

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I prefer my 3B, who is playing up, to move straight toward the foul line (just behind the leading runner) after the pitch, rather than move back to the bag. Yes, it would be nice to pick her off third, but a secondary goal is to let them know we have the ability to throw down, so they now take much shorter leads off third. We threw down 2 times this weekend, picking one girl off. Their leads were half as far shortly thereafter.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I prefer to leave this play out of my playbook. It's a high risk/low reward play. I can't think of when it last worked, but I can think of many times the ball ended up in left field with a run scored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28