Pony Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
What does this pony rule mean to you?

F. SHETLAND, PINTO, MUSTANG, BRONCO, PONY and COLT players of proper age
whose residence, as determined by the residence of their parents or legal guardians,
is within the approved organization league boundaries shall be considered "legal"
players for organization league and tournament competition

Oct 18, 2009
i'm not familiar with Pony specifically, but reading that means if the player lives in league boundaries, they are legal players.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
We are having a problem with a hand picker and playing players across league boundaries to make a hand selected rec team...pretty much pissing me off...lol

Mar 15, 2014
We are having a problem with a hand picker and playing players across league boundaries to make a hand selected rec team...pretty much pissing me off...lol
Tell me about it--I coached a CYO team for years and there were always some coaches who were trying to cherry pick a dominant team.
One even tried to recruit my daughter.

Mar 26, 2013
Are you asking for a baseball or softball team?
whose residence, as determined by the residence of their parents or legal guardians,
is within the approved organization league boundaries shall be considered "legal"
That rule is from the baseball rule book and the softball rules are surprisingly different.

League Reg 3 - Legal Players doesn't mention residency.

League Reg 4 - Boundaries indicates they are optional.
Section 1 Use of league boundaries for a Zone is at the Zone Director’s discretion. League
boundaries if used shall be determined by the league officers.

Playing Rule 1 - Definitions
Sec. 34 ILLEGAL PLAYER. An illegal player is one who is not legally a member of the
league/team because the player does not meet the requirements as to age and/or
residence.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
THanks SoCal_dad. I couldnt find a softball copy, I wouldnt have thought that the front matter would be different. I guess because in some areas its too hard to field a team.

Mar 2, 2013
LEAGUE REGULATION 4 – BOUNDARIES

Section 1 Use of league boundaries for a Zone is at the Zone Director’s discretion. League

boundaries if used shall be determined by the league officers.

Section 2 A map clearly indicating the current boundaries of the league shall be sent to the

Zone Director and shall be replaced upon request.

a. Unless specifically stated otherwise the center of the street shall be

b. Maps must indicate specific boundaries such as streets, railroad tracks,

considered the actual dividing line when streets are used as boundaries.

rivers, or school districts, postal zones, municipal limits or similarly specified

areas.

(1) A definition of boundaries such as “five mile radius” is not acceptable.

Section 3 The Zone Director, based upon the recommendations of the Field Directors

concerned, reserves the right to adjust boundaries in the event of overlapping of

territorial requests or because of inequitable conditions.

Section 4 Though boundaries are not specifically restricted by population or area, both will

be considered when boundaries are approved.

Section 5 Boundaries for Shetland, Pinto, Mustang, Bronco, Pony, Colt, Palomino and

Thorobred leagues sponsored by the same group need not be identical, nor need

they coincide with those of baseball leagues affiliated with PONY Baseball.

Mar 2, 2013
It simply means that just because one boundary or exception is applied for one age group or for baseball, that boundary need not dictate what must be used in softball or another age group.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
What does this pony rule mean to you?

It means you play in the league where your parents or legal guardians live; you're not allowed to claim that you live with a grandparent, or friend, or other relative, in order to play in a different league.

DS's HS football team has been really bad. A kid who would have been a senior this year now claims to be living with a family in the next town over, though his parents still live in our town. Guess which team won the States?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi