pondering move to drop 9

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
DD (RHB) is having her best season at the plate, got her a GA over winter, her old Ghost was cracked. both were/are 32 -10. her spray chart is heavily weight towards left field (54% balls hit to L, 28% to C, 19% to R, with most of those being outside pitches. Lots of long fall bouls on 3B side as well. basically, she is a tad early on most of her swings.

part of me is saying, do not mess with a good thing. part of me is saying an ounce or two heavier, and it may make her not be early, and extra ounce (or two?) might put a little more into the ball.

BTW, this is a change I would not make until either GA fails or until after season (ie for fall). thoughts, ideas, suggestions. Also going to take question to hitting instructor.

Attachments

• spray chart.png
    spray chart.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 24

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'd take both issues (pulling foul & maybe a heavier bat) to a trusted hitting instructor, but wouldn't mess much with the "best season at the plate". Get that stuff on video for review. I'm thrilled when DD pulls a long foul, because she often hits lots of fouls opposite, and that has zero to do with her bat.

Sep 29, 2020
I don't put alot into spray charts. You cannot tell where the pitch was when she hit it. Several questions to ask does she stand close to the plate, does she get pitched inside alot, is the inside her hotspot? There is alot more than spray charts.

Onto your question. I moved mine from a drop 10 to a drop 9 about 6 months ago because of how much stronger she has gotten. I did it during the winter off-season here in FL and had about 6 weeks to work with her on it. It took a few weeks to start to get the bat control and timing.

My DD is a righty that stands close to the plate and people love to throw her inside. The majority of her hits are from center to left center. Yes she can hit the outside to the opposite field but the inside is where she gets pitched to alot. Plus the middle just right of middle is almost inside to her. She swings a 34/25

May 6, 2015
she does not stand exceptionally close to plate, and do not believe she sees more inside pitches than normal. mostly just ahead of most pitches. and she has grown about 6 inches in past 9 months. and I just looked up her spray chart to confirm what I thought I was seeing (and it does not include the multitude of foul balls down 3B line).

gonna talk to instructor, to also maybe work on her timing (the starts with bat held out in front, then pulls back into stance, might need to hold out front a half a second longer. but again, I do not want to mess with it too much, hitting best she ever has.

Oct 4, 2018
I'm sure you know this and have factored it in, but not all drop 10s weigh the same. If you're saying you'll move to the same exact bat but in drop 9, then yes, I think you can guarantee it's a heavier bat.

My DD uses a Ghost Advanced 32/22. We wanted to get a Xeno in the same weight. That actually is the 32 drop 9.

So while I can accurately say my DD uses a drop 9, it's not like it's anything different than what she used before.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD is/was 5'7 and weighed approx 135. She was swinging an Xeno 33/10. I purchased the LXT 33/9 and she never noticed any difference due to the LXT being balanced vs the end loaded Xeno.

In my years of seeking the perfect bat for DD and I have bought a number, the bat they swing best is the one they believe in.

Oct 4, 2018
DD is/was 5'7 and weighed approx 135. She was swinging an Xeno 33/10. I purchased the LXT 33/9 and she never noticed any difference due to the LXT being balanced vs the end loaded Xeno.

In my years of seeking the perfect bat for DD and I have bought a number, the bat they swing best is the one they believe in.

To my point in my post above, the bat database here shows that the LXT 33 drop 9 weighs about 24 ounces for the last 3-4 years models. Same for the Xeno 33 drop 10. Get out a kitchen scale -- the two bats might actually weigh the exact same.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
To my point in my post above, the bat database here shows that the LXT 33 drop 9 weighs about 24 ounces for the last 3-4 years models. Same for the Xeno 33 drop 10. Get out a kitchen scale -- the two bats might actually weigh the exact same.
Not doubting the chart but the differences I could feel where in the end loading of the Xeno vs the balanced weight of the LXT. I guess I should also point out that the Xeno is now 6 years old and the LXT 5. Speaking of which, the Xeno is in primo shape if someone is interested.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Go to a Mantra 33 drop 9. Neither one of you will ever look at another bat again until she starts pulling everything once more. Then move to a 34 drop 9 Mantra.

May 6, 2015
thanks for all the feedback

as for same bat, yes, she loves her GA, would for now only consideer that really. cant blame her really

as for moving up in length, DW thinks it is time (she is 5'6" about 125 I think), I am against it, will ask hitting isntructor. will this really help her to not pull so much (not that I have anything against LF, just really want to get a lot of those long foul balls into fair territory ;))

saw a certain team known for offense using mantras, so DD might consider it. maybe. on one of her good days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06