POLL umpire question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Can turn umpire against your team?

• YES

Votes: 23 92.0%
  • NO

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Another current thread prompted me to ask this question/poll.

Do you think when a coach scrutinizes the Umpire in a game it can turn the Umpire against your team?
(Challenges a ruling)

Kept the question as direct and simple as possible.
If you want to add your interpretation to your response please do 😁

Enjoy whatever coaching style you choose!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Happy to share have been impressed to see umpires who were impervious to the daunting crowd and ranting coach.
Yet have seen, Ugly stare-down faces by umpires at other coaches,strikezones change, and outs called before the ball even gets there.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So I answered yes to this... but I want to clarify as always that it is absolutely so, so rare that this is a conscious decision by the umpire. To the point of almost non-existence. The end result of the game has ZERO meaning to the umpires; they don't care who wins or loses and are not making any call based on this.

And as much as I would like to say it doesn't and every umpire acts like a robot and makes every call on its merits only; that is BS

I would NEVER do this on purpose, but everyone has unconscious biases or human nature influence and is going to be affected by how others treat you.

After so many years doing this, I --HOPE-- I am way less influenced than many others and I would like to think that in many cases I actually increase my focus when dealing with a difficult situation, but in the end I am human. That comes with both experience AND training (which again there is very little of). I don't do 'make-up calls' or 'make up rules' - that is just more mistakes.

if you are going to act like a jacka$$, don't be surprised when you are treated as one.
If you have a reputation as a jacka$$, don't be surprised when you are treated as one.

-- experience also shows that everything becomes elevated after a situation happens; so it often 'appears' like the next call is made based on the previous behavior in the game. And often bad behavior comes from the team losing - so the 'everyone is against us' perception is there as well...

And yes I have had the "badly losing coach trying to get tossed conversation" which goes "Stop trying to get tossed out of this game. If I have to be here to watch this, so do you"

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You can turn umps against your team, and sadly and unfortunately, they can be intimidated not to make calls against your team or widen the strike zone give you the bang bang play call. Some umps take the path of least resistance and allow themselves to be bullied by loud mouth coaches. I dont see it very often but it does happen. Its a shame it works. I would like to remind them they have the power. Throw the bum out early and often.
On the other hand, small talk, like, how are the kids? how many games you got today? I've never seen you, where are you from? etc can help you humanize the blue and maybe tilt the table your way a little.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
I am an umpire.

It depends on how it is done. No issue whatsoever with a quiet/respectful question/discussion.

Act like a jerk, and you aren't doing your team any favors.

Having said that, I have a very short memory and am unlikely to hold a grudge.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Another current thread prompted me to ask this question/poll.

Do you think when a coach scrutinizes the Umpire in a game it can turn the Umpire against your team?
(Challenges a ruling)

Kept the question as direct and simple as possible.
If you want to add your interpretation to your response please do 😁

Enjoy whatever coaching style you choose!
Never against the team. The team is just playing the game. The players should not pay for the coach being out of line. Now the rest of the game, my tolerance level for the coach may be shorter. Especially if it is game 4 on a July day with the temps near 100. LOL

Jun 27, 2021
It shouldn't but yes it can. Umpires are human and like most humans they can only take so much until they take it personal. It may not be physical but they can definitely swing a game.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I was doing a game solo, shallow bloop to center with runners on 1st and 3rd, so I had to stay relatively close to home. Called a force out at 2nd. Angry shouts from the parents, coach comes storming out…I gave him a “gimme a break” look, and he says “I know, I know, you’re doing a great job, I just need to make a little show for those animals “ (nodding towards the parents).

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Much of these responses could be a reason why people do not approach their team's coach scrutinizing them.

Unfortunately no matter how someone tries to bring up a topic with their coach, even if it is just in discussion to help understand a situation on the team, gets taken in an adverse direction. It's a shame but it happens.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12