Poll: Do I coach DD select team or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
So my last poll was whether or not DD should play 12U Rec or 10U Select. Unanimously, you guys recommended 10U Select. Here's my next question:

The coach asked me to help him coach the select team, if DD makes the team. Should I say yes or no? I love coaching, and I especially love coaching HER, but I always knew that at some point, she'd need another coach to take her to another level...
At what age should a crazy coaching parent step back and hand her DD over to another coach?
Is 10U the right age, because it feels kinda early to me...

Insight and wisdom please....!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
DD got to spend time being coached by others in school.

I coached the summer teams, because we both enjoyed it and so I could keep an eye on her. She was my youngest and female and you just can't trust anyone 100%, anymore.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
If you want to coach, then I suggest you do it. She will have times when she can't be coached by you for various reasons (such as school ball). For now, you can help her and her teammates.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
That depends on your coaching ability. And the ability of the other coach.

Id say starting at 12U, if at all possible, gifted girls should be playing for the best programs they can make, for very experienced proven coaches that want to compete nationally.

There are lots and lots of coaching instructional clinics to keep you improving too. Nothing wrong with being assistant in any case., all coaches need help. On the job training is sometimes best too.

At 10U, I wouldnt worry about it, enjoy it, and since you obviously have concerns about your ability to continue as she ages up, attend a bunch of clinics, etc and make the goal to continue with her, wherever she goes. If you can get her to play at some point for a good established organization, you will be amazed how much you can learn from them in just a year or two. (of course thats about 100-250 games and even more practices)

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
At some point, you will have to become the "personal coach" for your DD if you want your DD to become an exceptional athlete. IMHO, when your DD starts playing 14U (which could be when she is 11YOA or 12YOA), then you should quit coaching the team and spend all the time you spent team coaching on getting your DD the instruction/practice she needs to get to the next level.

Right now, no problem. It'll be fun.

Dec 15, 2009
My dad coaches me a lot. He's my 14u coach, assitant 18u coach, and assitant coach for my travel team. The first 2 years of him coaching were rough. My mom had enough of us arguing and said that softball is only allowed to be discussed before practice/game, during practice/game, and after practice/game while we are still at the field. once we leave the field, softball isn't allowed to be discussed. it's helped so much and actually brought my dad and i closer. So as long as you keep it on a professional level during softball, everything will be fine.

Oct 18, 2009
I was recently asked to help coach my DDs 12u club team. Our head coach is highly qualified so its mostly to help with drills, warmups, book, stats and similar things. I leave all decisions regarding my daughter to the head coach. Before I accepted I told her to specifically not ask me about where to bat or play my DD. I also rarely give DD direct instruction or speak to her during any game. I don't want to be "that dad coach" that is constantly talking to his DD while she's in the field, yelling at her, praising only her or trying to get his kid play time. My DD likes me being there as there is a strict no parents speaking to players rule during games (only coaches). We enjoy each others company and this way she can speak to me if she wants to... usually its to tie her shoes... or get her a drink though.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I think a lot depends on you. Coaching isnt a static job either. Mudbug is right, there are a lot of clinics that help improve your knowledge of the game, and a good head coach will help with your coaching also. I coach my DD 16U travel team but not at her high school. Actually, I coach at another high school. It is both fun to watch her play and just enjoy it as a parent, and be involved as a coach. I think you will know when it is time to hand off the job to someone more experienced, or if it becomes difficult to handle on a personal level. Until then, enjoy this time together.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I coach DD's LL team as I've had a few years experience coaching and enjoy teaching the girls how to play the game. The team is competitive, but certainly not he best in our LL District. The team leads the league in having fun, which is what LL is all about.

DD plays 12U travel as well. The team is coached by 3 parents - the local HS varsity softball coach (female) and 2 dads who have daughters playing softball either in college or 16U travel ball. For DD to continue to improve, she requires skilled coaching and instruction that these parents/coaches can provide to her.

Was it tough to take a step back - yes - because it is fun and enjoyable to coach the girls. But it's best for DD that she is instructed by someone other than Dad.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I coach one dd's both rec and travel teams. I love teaching the girls....love coaching the games, but it would be absolutely wonderful to just pack dd in a teammates car and have just one or two weekends off.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06