*POLL* 18u everybody plays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

would you play for a team like this?

• yes

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • no

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters
Nov 8, 2020
I thought to play on the kids organization's 18U gold team you had to be committed to a college.
Last year when the 16U teams traveled to the big showcases, the committed girls didn't go. Seemed to make sense. This year they took an uncommitted pitcher, who should be in 14U, up to the 18U gold team... she is that good and with there really being no showcases this year due to the Flu, I guess there's no harm in that. I wonder what will happen if we're allowed to go back to normal, if she will go down to the 16U teams to showcase, or if she already secretly committed to UCLA or something and nothing has been announced because of the "rules"

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 18, 2013
I thought to play on the kids organization's 18U gold team you had to be committed to a college.
Last year when the 16U teams traveled to the big showcases, the committed girls didn't go. Seemed to make sense. This year they took an uncommitted pitcher, who should be in 14U, up to the 18U gold team... she is that good and with there really being no showcases this year due to the pandemic, I guess there's no harm in that. I wonder what will happen if we're allowed to go back to normal, if she will go down to the 16U teams to showcase, or if she already secretly committed to UCLA or something and nothing has been announced because of the "rules"

Is there really a need to make racist comments here?

Aug 25, 2019
Sounds just like my DD's 18U team. we had 12 players this fall, everyone played in pool play, and on Sunday only the best players play the field, but we had full roster hitting both days. We played 7 tourneys in fall, 3 first place, 2nd place. True, these weren't big time national tourneys, but tourneys none the less. Why does the team do it?....Because they all are good, that's why.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Seems pretty normal, our 18s play everyone in showcases, if a college coach is there to watch a player, they play the whole game. If not pitchers positional players rotate evenly

Nov 8, 2020
UCLA is a race? I mean I have always referred to them as the "gutties" or worse but I wasn't aware that the public school across town was a race

Oct 10, 2018
If the purpose of the team is to showcase, then yes every player should get field time no matter what so they can be seen. That said, it should be communicated loud and clear to the players and parents. Personally, that would be fine with me if we went in knowing this was the deal and were looking to get DD seen by college coaches but not sure DD would want to be on that team.

Mar 28, 2020
My daughter was on a team like this back in 2011. It was made of the best private school, home school, and collegent high school kids in the area. Strictly showcase.

They did a really good job at scouting and recruiting the girls. Every girl was worthy....

Every girl was a junior and this was a secondary team to thier normal travel squad.

Nice to hear there are teams still doing this......

It was allot of fun!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Maybe sneak in some time during pool play
18U showcase ball here doesn't have pool play, they're already predetermined brackets on who you'll be playing.

My experience with showcases, especially 18U with my DD and the Fall team I just helped coach is 80/85% of the girls are already committed, so it makes good sense to constantly rotate the girls in and out for the few who aren't committed. In fact any girls who played the same position took it upon themselves to go ahead and rotate every other inning, one would start one game, the other would start the next game. But ultimately the goal is to push those non-committed out in front of those coaches! And another thing, at this age, most of the committed girls have no problem sitting out an inning or two!

There towards the end I got so sick of showcase ball! No small ball, no hitting behind runners, no manufacturing runs.....just swing out of your cleats, it got old!

Now championship bracket games on Sunday's, all bets are off! So in a sense I guess you could call Saturday's games pool play.....if you like, although I haven't heard the term "pool" play in years!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There towards the end I got so sick of showcase ball! No small ball, no hitting behind runners, no manufacturing runs.....just swing out of your cleats, it got old!

Now championship bracket games on Sunday's, all bets are off! So in a sense I guess you could call Saturday's games pool play.....if you like, although I haven't heard the term "pool" play in years!
Glad to see coaches that still utilize strategy at showcases!
It shows/exhibits skills with game smarts and the players thinking on their feet.

To your point of the
'just swing away coaches'
Do see that mixed in at all type of events and friendlies.
Those coaches tend to be easy to pick out.
They are the ones who use the excuse
'we didnt bring our bats'
...While every batter stepped in the box with a bat in their hand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez