*POLL~12u team~ What do you think about mandatory...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Would you play for this team?

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Thats Ridiculous

Votes: 48 64.0%
  • Thats Fantastic

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
12u? No thanks.

I can understand remote instruction given the social distancing guidelines, etc. I have worked with several hitters via video. Most were college players that I worked with before they went to college. They would send me videos when they were struggling, and I would reply with some advice. In a lot of cases they were just looking for some positive encouragement. Beyond that I am a believer in results determine playing time. If someone isn't putting in the work, that will affect their play, which in turn will affect their playing time.

When you get into the older age groups, it does become a little different. DD's college team utilizes work out groups during the off season. Those groups are supposed to stay in touch with each other and share some video/pics with each other while they are working out. The coach doesn't see them. But the players seem to motivate each other this way. DD's group is very close. The coach has them fill out a log that they are required to turn in at the first practice after break.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think it would depend on the workouts. Are there specific workouts that the coach wants the girls to do, or does coach just want evidence that the kids are doing something softball-related every day? Right now DD has a hard enough time juggling practice, pitching and batting lessons, and games with her school work. She also runs and has an online workout program, plus at-home drills given to her by her pitching and batting coaches. I think adding another daily workout would burn her out pretty quickly.
Like the thinking it through in your post!
Not an assigned workout.
Do something on your own.
Pitching and other lessons apply.
Appears your daughter/athlete already checks all the boxes!

Jun 8, 2016
"Requiring" them to do something everyday is extreme. That said, I played some form of bball or baseball (or both) every day of the year (except holidays) from the age of 9 or 10 (e.g. when I was allowed to ride my bike outside my neighborhood)...it won't kill anybody. Also how much HW does a 12 YO have?? I probably did about an hour of HW a week until about the 11th grade..lol.

Feb 12, 2014
So, we have run into a similar issue with my son who is a 12U baseball player and does not have a cell phone. Learned from that mistake with my daughter!

Coach wants to communicate directly with players (makes my teacher-sense scream - I would NEVER communicate directly and solely with kids) and have them send him video occasionally. We've told him that our son doesn't have a cell and won't for the foreseeable future. Coach is a good dude, so he will work around it, but I do think the concept is a bit ridiculous. The ones who put in the work will be evident if you know what you're looking for.

May 23, 2015
Will coach(s) be reviewing all recorded workouts each day? Will coach be uploading video everyday? Leading by example? (I know...not how this works.) ;)

I've seen coaches assign pairs. Workout buddies I guess you could say. Helps them interface regularly, establish or improve relationships, and at the end of the day hold each other accountable.

Mar 10, 2020
All in Coach. Set the bar high to see who's in and who's not.
Dont know what anyones issue would be to have their kid post a few workout clips on an a team website.
Thats normal now to video chat.
Heck parents ramble on in front of their kids about facebook. Pffft.
My daughters all run a mile together almost everyday. They do it because they want to, and there not in track.
Each hit atleast 3 days a week on there own. Without being asked. Part of this is from parenting. Telling them what it costs our family to afford travel ball. Part of it is their wanting to put in the work.
Our household has set chores.
Softball comes after chores.
But i can see by the parents carrying their kids gear bag to the field exactly why a coach would set the bar high for the players.

Oct 4, 2018
All in Coach. Set the bar high to see who's in and who's not.
Dont know what anyones issue would be to have their kid post a few workout clips on an a team website.
Thats normal now to video chat.
Heck parents ramble on in front of their kids about facebook. Pffft.
My daughters all run a mile together almost everyday. They do it because they want to, and there not in track.
Each hit atleast 3 days a week on there own. Without being asked. Part of this is from parenting. Telling them what it costs our family to afford travel ball. Part of it is their wanting to put in the work.
Our household has set chores.
Softball comes after chores.
But i can see by the parents carrying their kids gear bag to the field exactly why a coach would set the bar high for the players.

She said every day. Yours hit 3 days a week. That's great. Mine do 4. But forcing it to be every day? Nope, we'd leave the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd