POLL & Discussion about DEDICATION

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

% of players who put in their own work

• 100%

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 90%

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • 80%

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50%

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • 25%

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • 10%

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2020
25% 12u and younger harder to find teams with players who have the same attention span or effort level.
75% 14u and older players have more focus able to apply themselves. Can find teams where working out individually is expected.

More younger teams to choose from but less older teams to choose from polled it at 50%.

Jun 8, 2016
25% 12u and younger harder to find teams with players who have the same attention span or effort level.
75% 14u and older players have more focus able to apply themselves. Can find teams where working out individually is expected.

More younger teams to choose from but less older teams to choose from polled it at 50%.
Shouldn't it be closer to 25% than 75%, vs. right in the middle, if there are more 12U and younger teams/players..? Unless I am misunderstanding your last sentence..

Mar 10, 2020
Shouldn't it be closer to 25% than 75%, vs. right in the middle, if there are more 12U and younger teams/players..? Unless I am misunderstanding your last sentence..
14u and older larger age group to 18 years old 6 years of playing ball.
14U atleast 75% do workouts by themselves. 16u and 18u teams number could be higher 95%.
Finding teams where working out individually is mandatory is where we have found that higher percentage.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Definitely varies based on team and level.

75% of DD's travel ball team went on to play in college (D2 or D3). They each put in a significant amount of work outside of team practices. Pitching lessons, hitting lessons. Playing catch with a friend. Several had personal trainers that they worked with for agility or speed training.

Virtually no one on DD's high school team worked on softball skills outside of team practice. Some played soccer and/or basketball, so they were in good physical condition. One missed the first day of practice her senior year because she couldn't find her glove. She put it in the garage after the last high school game from the previous season and started looking for it the morning of the first practice. She was unable to find it so she skipped practice so she could buy a new one.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Kind of think hitting lessons are like pitching lessons. Just because you went to your Tuesday night pitching lesson doesn't well prepare you to play next Sunday. Just as pitchers need to throw 3 or 4 times a week, hitters should be hitting (tee work is better than nothing) 3 times a week. Please don't say you cant find the time. You can hit a focused bucket of balls in ten minutes before school every day. Ask me how I know. Hitters got it easy. Pitchers have to find a catcher or parent for 30 to 40 minutes 3 or 4 times a week.

Apr 1, 2017
14U atleast 75% do workouts by themselves. 16u and 18u teams number could be higher 95%.

Maybe on the highest level teams. But those are a very small group compared to all teams. If there was an actual way to determine the overall %, it is no where near 95%. Completely guessing, I'd say 50%.

Our team is a group that just likes playing softball, and a typical "B" team (around .500 record). I'd put our % at 16u at 45%, and the current 18u group (just enjoying the game before going to college next fall) at 25%. Almost all of those % are pitchers working on staying sharp.

Jun 8, 2016
Tbh I envy people who can do things without getting OCD about them. Life must be much more enjoyable.

Mar 10, 2020
Maybe on the highest level teams. But those are a very small group compared to all teams. If there was an actual way to determine the overall %, it is no where near 95%. Completely guessing, I'd say 50%.
16u and 18u teams number could be higher 95%.
Finding teams where working out individually is mandatory is where have found that higher percentage.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think this varies wildly with age and level of play. But unless you are talking about a select group of players who want to play college softball and are serious about reaching those goals I'd be surprised if this figure came close to even 25% across the full softball spectrum. I mean there are a lot of girls out there who play softball strictly for fun and have no aspirations to play at the highest levels who are like the girl in the post above who put their glove away one season and look for it the next.

Now if you are talking about competitive A level softball programs from 14U up it's probably much higher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red