Pocket Radar readings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2018
I find it more consistently accurate from behind the pitcher on the ball arm side, but you have to follow the set up instructions. Mine is set up on a tripod about 20 feet behind the pitcher on the ball arm side. I was able to get the same readings from behind the catcher but they weren't as consistent. Based on how the device works a proper set up from either side will give the same results. Since it reads the fastest movement it detects, whatever gets the ball closest to release and keeps the ball in the path of the beam at the most direct angle will produce the most accurate readings.
I don't know if it affects readings, but that little thing EATS batteries. Anyone leaving it on a tripod needs a power supply or extended battery pack.
Yep. A big ol’ battery pack. Lasts all week at about 3 hours per day.

Dec 25, 2023
The speed of sound is minimally effected by temperature but the Doppler effect would be enhanced in the case of lower temperatures hence the readings would actually be higher (but the difference would probably be within the +/- 1 mph error cited by the manufacturer). If temperature effected things significantly it wouldn’t be hard to equip the devices with thermocouples and then correct for temperature.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles