Please tell me I haven't lost my mind...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2013
Most of that I will agree with. It wasn't one of my finer moments. I used "force" in the post because that's the terminology he was using--my mistake. On the field I went the route of "she retouched her base after a caught ball", but that didn't seem to be getting me anywhere. My discussion with the non-calling ump after the inning was simply as I was picking up the bat on the way back to the 1B dugout--pretty discrete. Did I lose my cool? Yep, and I'll take the heat for that. My question...respectfully submitted...is how do you handle a situation where an umpire has the ruling completely wrong, short of playing the game under protest? Are the only options 1) accept the incorrect ruling, or 2) file a protest? Should/could I have asked the ruling ump to discuss it with the non-ruling ump, or is that option off the table altogether?

Good umpires don't mind protests. They are seen as an opportunity for umpires to officially show a coach that the umpire is right.

Bad umpires fear them. Just protest.

Jan 24, 2011
Correct. But we live in a pass-the-buck and I-Know-I-Am-But-So-Are-You society. My point was that this could have been a teaching experience for the player. I'm guessing that it was overlooked. The player is bound to do the same thing again. People need to spend more time coaching the players than the umpires.

In no way was I excusing what happened with the umpire, but there is always more than one perspective.

Check it out....another smoke screen

Mar 2, 2013
Anyway , we know the player probably should have slid. But , the rules interpretation was my interest in this thread , not the an umps view of someones coaching credentials

I really don't care what your interests are. I had something to add. I'm not losing sleep over whether want to pigeon hole yourself. Each coin has 2 sides. Don't lose out on a learning experience due to ignorance or indifference.

Again, it comes down to there being more than one thing to address. We need to get rid of the, "It's okay, Mary. Umps blew the call. You were in there." Turn it into, "Touch call Mary. Let's work on sliding next time. I bet you'd get the call next time."

Mar 15, 2014
My question...respectfully submitted...is how do you handle a situation where an umpire has the ruling completely wrong, short of playing the game under protest? Are the only options 1) accept the incorrect ruling, or 2) file a protest? Should/could I have asked the ruling ump to discuss it with the non-ruling ump, or is that option off the table altogether?
I coach an 18U team and the umpires range from very good to just so so.
I usually have no problem with an obvious blown call (Lord knows I have made my share of them) but not knowing the rules--or misapplying them--still gets my goat.
And yes, I have come semi unglued when trying to explain an improper ruling to an umpire that just may cost my team a game.
In your OP--#1, This is not a force play.
Yes, the runner does not have to be tagged when going back to the base, but that in itself does not make it a force.
But--after over running the base she now has to be tagged for the out.
Had you explained this to the umpires perhaps they would have seen the light since we all get brain freezes once and awhile
( I once called an infield fly with runners on 1rst and 3rd--the coaches came out and I embarrassingly fixed the situation.)
If they still insist on the improper ruling just file a protest--either it will be resolved by a director right then and there or at a later date.
Fighting, or not letting the issue drop, after you have made your point is a bad lesson for your girls.

"It's okay, Mary. Umps blew the call. You were in there." Turn it into, "Touch call Mary. Let's work on sliding time."
Nope--Softball is a life lesson and honesty is one of those lessons.
For example:
My girl slides into 3rd and is safe by a mile.
Umpire calls her out.
After a few moments of sharing looks of shocked disbelief with my runner I ask for time, help her to her feet and say, "You were safe"
While dusting herself off she says, "I know" before exchanging high fives with me and then and running towards the dugout.
( My girls, coaches and parents are instructed by me to never question an umpire--that is the sole responsibility of the head manager.)
The umpire tries to explain himself to me but I just cross my arms, roll my eyes and respond with just one word,
"Whatever"

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Columbus, GA
New to post to the forum - although I have read this forum for some time - thank you to all of you.

I agree that there are always 'perspectives' to any and every situation that should be considered. I agree with the OP and Ump - I think both make valid points. Additionally, a perspective that I think worthy of consideration is that this is softball being played by impressionable young ladies that NEED ("this day and age") to see mature, responsible leadership from their coaches and the umps. Situations should indeed be evaluated as teaching opportunities and above all, respecting authority (umps) should immediately be emphasized followed by further, respectful examination and explanation of said situation. Umps wrong - hopefully there is maturity enough to admit it and further exemplify [mutual] respect of authority OR, further explanation with the athlete and/or team/parents of what transpired. Either way, a lot of learning takes place for a lot of ppl.

I had a young lady this past season that, while stepping out as the (strike) crossed the inside corner of the plate, would argue the umps call - totally unacceptable! And I would discreetly receive her from her strike out calmly yet firmly explaining respect. What we do as coaches is FAR more than JUST Softball - especially "in this day and age."

Thanks again. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of what I have found to be a very informative and useful forum.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32