Please Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2020
So in a tournament we were in we were up 8 runs going into the top of the 5th. This was going to be the last inning based on time. Rule says the last inning trailing team can score 7 runs, this is 8u btw. So we know we can’t lose so we move some girls around. Well they get 7 runs, we end up still winning, but the question I have is should we have still batted in the bottom of the 5th because first tie breaker was runs allowed.
Rule reads: Games will be played to completion for time or innings in order to count runs.
Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 25, 2019
Strange rule there, shouldn't the first tiebreaker is a win?......You won the game, you can't run up the score by batting in the bottom of the 5th.

Oct 11, 2018
Like Flash said, don't want you running up the score after the team has officially lost the game. BUT, it depends on the rule set for the tournament. If you are following official USA, USSSA, NFHS or whatever, the game is always over if the home team is leading when they come up to their final at bat or if they gain the lead during their final at bat. But typically each tournament will have some local modifications and one modification that I have seen is that if time remains, the home team, the one who has already won the game, still gets to bat in the bottom of the inning and run up the score. I hate that rule, you already have the point in the win column. GAME OVER!. In the local league I support we always state very clearly in the rule modifications that game is over and home team does not get to run up the score on an already defeated team.

I've had a number of coaches and fans yell you can't stop the game, we need to get our runs for the tie-breaker. Nope! Game Over.

I do remember a few years back some irate grandparent (in other words, someone my age) chasing me down saying I was cheating the kids. Have to laugh. I tell him to read the rules because in our tournament we specify it. "Well that's not how we played it last week!" If I umpire in other tournaments and it is not specified, I ask the TD before I do my game.

Jun 11, 2013
If you are up and the home team in the last inning you never get to bat. If there were no run rules and you were up 8-6 would you have expected to bat?

Jan 13, 2020
Strange rule there, shouldn't the first tiebreaker is a win?......You won the game, you can't run up the score by batting in the bottom of the 5th.
You would think so it was really odd. There were an odd number of teams so pool play got screwed up and we didn’t end up playing a complete round robin in pool play. I thought it was crazy that the home team, us would ever bat in this situation but I had parents and other coaches saying we should have because of the tiebreaker with runs allowed. They said we need to add runs allowed to their total like they were allowed to do to us. I said the games over we won.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06