Please explain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 27, 2012
It's impossible for anyone here to say why the call was what it was. It apparently may not have been right, based on the info we have been given, but we really can't know what the umpires were thinking or why they ruled the way that they did.

Are you sure there weren't any outs to start with?

What coach worth his salt allows an extra "phantom" out to be charged to his team without talking to the umpires to see what's going on? Nobody piped up? No scorekeeper, no assistant coaches, no players, no fans? No one was screaming about there being only two outs?

Frankly, that seems way less likely than "there was really one out to start with".

I was keeping score with Iscore app. Sort a missed it all when the the interference call was made. The umpire asked the coach to get out of his face so no one asked for the scorebook when all this thing was going on. Everyone was pumped up. The coach was telling the umpire about 2 outs but he would not listen to her. This is her first time coaching high school ball too. So when I score showed next batter of our team, i though I may have messed up and just a gave that batter an out and finished the innings.

Nov 27, 2012
We have the video of the incident, I need to edit it and see if i can post the clip here. One of our coach is a multimedia teacher so he tapes all our games and load it on google drive.

Nov 27, 2012
Bottom of inning 6

E P was the one that was called out for interference, so she was the second out. I gave #24 ground out to finish the inning, she did not come out to hit.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Continuing to run and drawing a throw CAN be considered a form of interference. Key word is CAN, not is interference. The defense should have been more than well aware the batter/runner was put out on the catch. If all the batter/runner did was round first and was not continuing to run when the defensive player chose to tag her that is on them to be aware of the situation and make the appropriate play. As for the rest of the play, umpire messed up, base on his call there were only 2 outs and should have been a runner on 2nd.

This ^^^ with one exception. :) Runners are returned to the last base at the time of the INT which according to the OP (as I read it), R2 was between 3rd & home at the time of the INT (tag). That is assuming it was INT, R2 either scores or is returned to 3rd. Any runner who had touched or crossed the plate prior to the INT, scores and cannot be brought back and put on base.

I did see a play the other night in a high school game with a very similar situation which was very close to being interference by a retired runner drawing a throw. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, batter hit a deep fly ball to left. Runner on 3rd tagged on the catch and there was a throw home for the play at the plate. Throw was late but the catcher immediately threw to 3rd to get the runner advancing there. As soon as she threw, the runner pulled up, started walking and headed to the dugout. I couldnt figure out what was going on until I looked back and saw there was still a runner standing on 2nd. The batter/runner had run full speed even after being put out, passed the runner at 2nd and was advancing to third and drew a throw. Ultimately it did not advance any runners, but could have easily been called interference if it had allowed a runner to advance.

Good "no call"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez