Please advise me on some new gear.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2012
Hi all. We are pretty new to softball, my daughter only playing city ball this past summer and t-ball 2 years ago. My daughter made a travel team a month ago. She is 10 years old, 5' tall, and 95 pounds. Right now she uses a Demarini cat osterman dx-1 29" 18oz bat and a 11" wilson glove that is worn out. She swings the bat so hard im sure she needs a bigger bat. Can you guys give me some recommendations on some gear? She is a lefty that pitches and plays first base. She has the most power on the travel team. I was thinking of Rawlings REVO 550 Fastpitch Series: 5SC120MD that glove. Would that one be good? I have no idea about bats. I would like to spend around $200 on the bat. Could you guys give me your top 3 bats in that range please. Thanks for the help.

Robert

May 31, 2012
Demarini cf5,tps Xeno, easton stealth. Stealth swings heavier than cf5 or xeno. If you play Usssa, Sept 1 2013. All bats will need a 2013 Usssa stamp to be used in tournaments. Cf5 or Xeno probably go with a 31/21. Stealth 30/20.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You probably want a balanced (not end loaded) bat. Maybe a 30inch, 20 ounce, composite - not aluminum. You may not even have to spend $200.00. Sometimes, Amazon has good deals. Also, blemished bats are OK. It depends on how fast you expect her to grow, but get her a bat that fits, now. We do not teach a hitter to choke up, anymore. I have bought bats on ebay, with good results, before. Can she swing some of her friends bats before you decide?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The local batting cages by me always sell last years stuff greatly discounted. I picked up a 2011 Stealth for 155 this summer. I'd check places like that. The big box stores don't discount that much and won't bargain with you. If you're buying a glove and a bat you may do even better.

I can't see spending to much on a bat for a 10yo. They start growing and you may be replacing it in less than a year. You might also want to look for some slightly used bats. I have sold several that DD outgrew with low numbers of hits. I'm usually lucky to get half of what I paid.

Good luck.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I, like Amy said, have bought several bats off ebay. I would also say I would start with a 30/20 in a Demarini cf5 or cf4 or a xeno, the 2011 are going for a good price right now. Also I wouldn't have a problem with buying a nice looking used 30/20 either. The girls that used them probably didn't hit super hard to damage them and probably out grew them quickly. Also, I wouldn't worry about the 2013 stamp, she will need another bigger bat by then and you can ebay this one for good money. You $200 budget is exactly the max I have ever spent on a bat for dd, and we have had almost all of them.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2010
As stated above. CF5, CF4 and Xeno. 30/20 to start for a 10 YO should be fine. Youi should find them sub $200 easily. Gloves, I wouldn't skimp. Get the Nokona Buckaroo Black in whatever size you think you'll need. Me, I'd prefer a 12 in for a 10 YO infielder. DD has 12.5 when she plays OF. She uses the Buckaroo Black catcher mitt when she catches. Get the conditioner and play lots of catch. They break in fairly quickly. Alot of money, but a very good investment.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
LOL, no offense CPSBDad, but a $200 glove for a ten year old?

The Rawlings will be fine. Heck get her a game ready Mizuno. She's 10 and you will be replacing the glove with a bigger one when she grows. Nakona gloves are rather heavy. Before the Nakona, I don't think I spent over 60 on a fielders mitt.

I bought DD a walnut Nakona about a month ago...she will start using it in practice this week and that was after about 1k catches and me beating a softball in the pocket with a bat for about 500 hits. I didn't take any short cuts to break it in. No microwave, roaster,

Sep 19, 2012
Wow, thanks for all the great advice. It looks like the CF5 is a bat that i couldnt go wrong with. This is our first year playing so my daughter doesnt have any friends on the team yet. Unfortunately we dont have batting cages by us. What is the difference between the CF4 and CF5? Redhotcoach, having almost all the big name bats, can u give me your impressions of the different brands please. CPSBDad, i was really considering that Nokona Buckaroo Black glove. From what i have researched, it seems a 12" glove is good through high school at least. Does that sound right? If so, would the Nokona last 7 years? InsidePitch, is your daughters new glove a big upgrade over her old one?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD played with 2 Mizunos (game ready=short life), a Rawlings C125FP Champion Series 12.5" still playable after 2 seasons and I bought the Nakona for her HS years. The Nakona was a step up and a reward for several years of High Honors in school. The only gloves I know in the price range are the Vinci and the Rawlings primo which is a step up from both of those gloves.

IMHO, at 10 you should just find a glove she feels comfortable in. Same with the bat. 10 year olds I coached seemed to do better with lighter weight bats. Fast hands will always be an asset to the hitter. At 10U I'd see a lot of kids that hit Miken Rains or the Halo. That 50/50 Cat Osterman bat was popular at 10U and so was the Demarini Bustos. If money is just burning a hole in your pocket, the CF5 is a great bat and you won't go wrong with it unless DD decides she'd rather play soccer next year or Volley ball.

I'm not hands on familiar with the Buckaroo but hear it is somewhat softer with a kangaroo hide on part of the glove. DD who will be 14 in Dec could not budge the Nakona when brand new. I had to work it for a week before she could get any movement out of it and as I mentioned earlier, it's not a light weight glove for a 10yo but then maybe your DD is stronger than mine was at 10.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma