Playing Time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Parents who think that paying dues equals guaranteed playing time are living with a rec ball mentality. For travel ball, dues pays for fields, insurance, tournament fees, etc. Playing time is earned by the player's performance on the field, which includes attitude and rate of attendance, among other factors. If you want more playing time, be better than the girls who are currently getting time. Being "just as good" doesn't cut it. Be better, Be undeniably better. Be so good you can't be ignored. If you're not now, get to work until you are.

EDIT: FWIW, this is the current situation with my DD on her 16U team. She's new to a team that includes older/established players in the same positions. She's been battling an injury which has limited her ability to play defense. She's getting some ABs, but not very many, and she has been struggling to find her groove at the plate. She's frustrated and pressing. However, she's working relentlessly to find her form again, and itching to prove her value with the bat. Hopefully, she will be able to get back to playing defense soon, and work on earning her place in the starting rotation. In the meantime, she cheers on her teammates, and celebrates their successes.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
While I don’t disagree that talent and ability should be driving factors in travel/competitive ball, I can’t agree with you on this one @Eric F.

If you are going to charge travel/competitive ball prices to parents and players, you should be providing some type of guarantee of playing time. I don’t think a parent exists that is going to shell out that kind of money and be OK with merely subsidizing other people’s kids.

I’m not saying playing time should be equal or should be guaranteed with no repercussions, but that is where laying out your expectations (and sticking to them) comes in to play.

May 6, 2015
While I don’t disagree that talent and ability should be driving factors in travel/competitive ball, I can’t agree with you on this one @Eric F.

If you are going to charge travel/competitive ball prices to parents and players, you should be providing some type of guarantee of playing time. I don’t think a parent exists that is going to shell out that kind of money and be OK with merely subsidizing other people’s kids.

I’m not saying playing time should be equal or should be guaranteed with no repercussions, but that is where laying out your expectations (and sticking to them) comes in to play.

and the parents are actually paying for the girls to develop, no way to develop riding pine. if the coach takes a player, they made a commitment to the player. DD has been victim a couple of times of coaches who took her on pretty much to light a fire under someone elses's but, and to me that is wrong at youth sports level (college, pro, different world).

May 24, 2013
So Cal

and the parents are actually paying for the girls to develop, no way to develop riding pine. if the coach takes a player, they made a commitment to the player. DD has been victim a couple of times of coaches who took her on pretty much to light a fire under someone elses's but, and to me that is wrong at youth sports level (college, pro, different world).

A good coach knows that developing the talent of all the players benefits the whole team, which means getting game time for everyone. Also, having a teammate gunning for your spot can be incredibly motivating for a good player to push herself to be even better. IMO, the idea of a coach guaranteeing a certain amount of playing time for a player on a competitive TB team is a mistake. Discussing intent is one thing. Making a guarantee is a recipe for parent drama. A coach should also be able to talk about specific reasons why a player is getting less time than another.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Org my DD plays for you have to sign off at the beginning of the season on expectations. Everyone plays at least 2 games on Saturday. Best 9 play on Sunday and it's a roster of 13. Have to earn your spot on Sunday. Heck coach sits his DD more than anyone so it's as fair as it can be. Occasionally I've heard grumblings but it's usually from parents that aren't putting in the time with their kids outside of organized practice.

Had one person last year that got lippy about playing time, they received the boot immediately.

Jun 8, 2016
If a player wants more PT and if said player is doing all that they can to earn more playing time with little to no improvement in the situation then find another team as either a) the player is playing above her head or b)the coach is clueless/playing favorites/etc.

On the other hand, if the player is not doing everything they can to improve then fix that first before doing anything else

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
On my team, 12U TB mind you, each player gets close to equal PT as I can make it in PP. Each player has the opportunity to start on Sunday based on their performance during the PP games that weekend.
At the older age groups, 16U and 18U, I play the best during both unless it's a showcase. If a college coach wants to see them play, then they are in. Otherwise, we are there to win. If a girl wants to break the line-up, she needs to prove that she can out-perform my current starter and yes, all expectations are outlined beforehand. That's just the way it is.
Too many parents have the rose-colored glasses on nowadays. JMHO. Instead of having their DD work harder trying to beat out the player in front of them for PT, they'd rather try to tear that player down and complain. On my team, that doesn't work. IDC whether they paid the same or not. If they are unwilling to put in the time, they aren't playing much at that age level and yes, I've lost more than a few players that way. Oh well. Good riddance.

Oct 4, 2018
It's really amazing how parents evaluate their kids. I think many of us here can accurately see when someone is better than our DD. I'm quick to admit it personally.

But man, some parents really don't know what they're watching. It's almost hard to keep a straight face as they talk about how good their DD is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying