Playing time in a social comp... Should I complain?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

So I'm playing in a social competition this season. Played in the comp previous two seasons, won fielding trophy both years (for the team, playing 1B and a little 2B). This season starts, new coach. We have played 8 games this season, myself and four other players (roster size 14) have been sat on the bench every second week without fail. Meanwhile, coach's favourites have played 8 full games (i think theres three or four who havent sat all year) and are also playing a second game every week. In translation, they are getting two full games to others' half game weekly. To top it all off, coach had me playing RF today. I have no speed, an erratic arm at times. One fly that I caught (no others caught in OF all game, including 4 that dropped in front of CF), i got yelled at for an erratic throw. I am on the brink of complaining to the club about this coach as I dont believe that, in a social level comp, i or the others in the same situation should have to put up with this level of favouritism by the coach. Can I ask for any other opinions? Am I just being a whinger? Or do I have a valid point? All I know is that this coach is not making the sport I love enjoyable any more.

Oct 31, 2010
Have you asked the coach what you can do to get more playing time? His answer may give you yours. Give the coach a chance before you go above him.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
OK, so the coach has 14 players. Four play every game, while the other 10 alternate (5 play one game, 5 play the next)? That's how he determines his 9 players? ...

As 01mom suggested, you can talk to the coach, but I think it's important how you define the problem. Rather than seeing this coach as one who has favorites, see it as a coach who has a disagreement with you over how to run a 'social comp' team. The coach believes certain players that he probably feels are his best should play a lot more than others, whereas you believe everybody should play more than half the time. Ask what you can do to play more and perhaps also express that you had hoped and expected when you signed up that everyone in a social comp league would play more than just half the time.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
How's your hitting? Most coaches choose players based on their offensive capability, and then figure out how those 9 can play decent defensively. This usually works better then picking the best 9 defensive players and trying to figure out how to score from there.

-W

Jul 9, 2009
IL
If it's like the social leagues around here, you may not be drinking enough beer? Or perhaps you're expected to buy the head coach a round or two?

Could that be the problem?

Last edited:
My BA is around .350
I have previously spoken to the coach and he says that he is giving more playing time to those who turn up to practice more regularly. I understand this completely, and due to the fact that my job is not a regular 9 till 5 job, I haven't been able to attend as much as I would like to. That being said, I'm attending at least one practice a week and one of the coach's 'favorites' has not attended a practice all season. The player in question also has an awful attitude towards some of the younger members of the team who do make mistakes. I have tried talking to the coach and he has diverted the conversation. Several of the other members of this team agree with me. My issue with raising this to committee members is that I will be alienated because of it, as this coach is seen as somewhat of a club legend.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
All I have to say is what I tell many...It is a free market. If you feel you can produce and are not appreciated then move on to another team. There are times in life where moving on can bring on a cool new step....but it can also bring perspective....Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side. So take some time and make a clear decision then go with it. It is your life so live it. :) Good luck with whatever you do. I really think having 14 on a roster is too much, especially in a world where you can get players to fill in when your team is short handed.

Mar 13, 2010
Thanks for the link green monsters.

What grade do you play? That changes my answer significantly. Social comp a grade is Completly different to c grade social comp. if the answer for why you're not playing us you're not going to training (and more than one training a week? WTF?) but someone else is missing every training and playing I'd have a chat to the club.

What state you in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06