playing for a travel team while you are playing under TSSAA rules in Middle School?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
What are the ramifications for playing on a travel team while you are playing under a (in our case TSSAA) Middle School sanctioned team?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If you're caught.........fine, forfeiting any games the player took the field, forfeiting ALL games, probation for the school for X amount of years, the future HS coach knowing you violated state rules, the potential future college knowing you violated state rules. ( all of these are possible, TSSAA/TMSAA usually doesn't play around )

School ball is only a few months, my advice is don't even think about it. It's not worth it when you have the whole rest of the year to travel ALL YOU WANT.

Find out some crazy things browsing through by-laws. Obviously the best bet is to ask the school, since they would be the injured party if anything goes wrong like playing an ineligible player and forfeiting games. but here is an interesting excerpt and first glance it looks like this is not allowed during the season:

50% Rule – Applies to basketball, baseball, and softball. Participation (includes practice or games) during the
school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the
high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (3 in basketball, 5 in
baseball, 5 in girls softball). Only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team prior to the
school season may be placed on the high school eligibility list the following season. Those students cannot be
interchanged on the school’s team roster.

Q. May a player participate in a scrimmage, practice game or game with an independent team after being
registered with TSSAA in that sport?
A. No. The student shall be ineligible immediately in the sport in which the violation occurs.
Q. Is it a violation for a registered athlete in baseball or softball to practice with an independent team?
A. No, provided he/she participates in practice situations only (batting practice, infield practice, etc.), provided no
game situations are involved.
Q. A student is registered on the girls’ softball team with school A. The student then participates in an
independent girls’ softball game. She then returns to school A’s softball team where she plays three games. The
coach of school A determines that the student has played in an independent game and reports the violation to the
state office. What is the penalty?
A. School A has played an ineligible player for three games. The three games will be forfeited and disciplinary
action will be taken. The student is ineligible for nine games. (If a student participates in three contests as an
ineligible player, the three contests will be forfeited, disciplinary action will be taken against the school, and the
student will be ineligible to participate in the next nine contests or for the remainder of the season, whichever is
the least.)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Let me explain how this works. Good stuff David.

Player A is on a sanctioned school team, she plays a weekend TB tourney in another city or state. Someone sees her playing and takes a picture, documents the time and place ( which will have roster records ). That someone "sits" on that information. Player A's school wins district/regions/state/school tournaments. That someone then presents TSSAA/TMSAA with the information. That my friend, is where things get ugly and awards are stripped from the school, fines, and the school is "flagged".

Trust me, you don't want to be in that position.

May 25, 2010
Let me explain how this works. Good stuff David.

Player A is on a sanctioned school team, she plays a weekend TB tourney in another city or state. Someone sees her playing and takes a picture, documents the time and place ( which will have roster records ). That someone "sits" on that information. Player A's school wins district/regions/state/school tournaments. That someone then presents TSSAA/TMSAA with the information. That my friend, is where things get ugly and awards are stripped from the school, fines, and the school is "flagged".

Trust me, you don't want to be in that position.

It sounds like Billy might be the one who snapped the pic of the offender rather than being the parent of a player who might be considering it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It sounds like Billy might be the one who snapped the pic of the offender rather than being the parent of a player who might be considering it.

Ha, wasn't me. Softball in TN is a small world, I think DD was a freshman when I heard about a situation across the state as I described. Didn't work out well for the family.

I was trying to ensure the OP they immediately may not be confronted about the infraction, but someone may have the goods on tap. In today's age of internet, it's not even safe entering a tournament across country. Digital fingerprints are everywhere, team tourney pics, online rosters, media, video streaming.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So obvious answer is just "DON'T DO IT".

How does 50% rule work, I guess that means your TB team can't be your school team?

50% rule is in effect during the school year. Since this is state wide we worked around it. We took our top players and the top players from the other two schools in the county and played during the fall. Which works out good for the softball "only" players in the schools, some of our girls are playing volleyball, soccer, basketball for the school in the fall.

May 13, 2012
I just need to ask. The OP is talking about middle shcool in TN (TSSAA) correct. I thought all the rules described applied to HS not MS. Dont bash me to hard as my wife points out "thinking ain't my strong point".

edit just went to TSSAA web site. mentioned HS and the rules stated above. Down on the junior high section it just lists pitching/innings rule. Still don't mean Im right just confuse more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors