Playing Experience or training better for an 8 year old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2012
first post but have been lurking about for a while...My DD is 8 and started when she was 6 on a very talented 9u TB team, of course she rarely played but the training was well worth the money. She started on pitching lessons right before she turned 7. I seen her PC Valerie Wood's videos referred to under the model pitchers link here, so I'm assuming its a good sign and besides her being a slow pitcher :( , 90% of her pitches are strikes and she can hit her spots consistently. Her previous team disbanded because too many girls moved up and the coach was trying to form another 9u team and couldn't get enough interest, so I intentionally put her on a lower skilled 10uB TB team so she can get experience pitching and playing time. Problem is at 8 she is one of their top players and starting pitcher and SS, found out her pitching speed throws alot of hitters off because they swing too early. However I noticed the training was comparable to a rec league, so I got her on a top 8u team playing 10uC where she probably is in the middle area for talent and 2nd pitcher and plays 2b and Of. Shes improved alot in the 2 months in the 8u team because she tries harder. I have her on both rosters and playing both teams, surprisingly very little conflict but softball everyday. Problem is even though she loves playing I'm afraid maybe its way too much for her to learn all at once, but afraid the 10uB team will not teach her enough or the 8u team may not get her the playing time she needs to become better and more experienced. Any ideas if I should pull her from one team to another or leave her on both? Should I be more worried about experience or training at this point?

And a side note, I love the info on this site, I started her a few days ago on throwing into a carpet for an hour a day and her speed doubled doing that (apparently she was scared to throw hard), hopefully her speed increase shows come game time Saturday.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Honestly, I think she will be burned out waaaay too early. She's only 8 years old, and really needs to be playing the game to have fun. They still learn while having fun! Definitely put her with the 8U team, and RELAX! But yes, keep up with pitching practice (should only do this 3x/week for 30-45 minutes). The most important thing is that she has fun and loves the game.

I think that between 12-14 years of age is when they start getting more serious about skill development and training (I mean after all, every softball player wants to make Varsity their Freshman year LOL).

Anyway...relax...that's my advice. ;-)

Apr 25, 2012
My mind knows your right but she is my baby and I of course think she has all the talent in the world and don't want to make the wrong choice. Right now every coach 8u and 10u that has seen her love her, shes small and weighs like 40 pounds, looks like she is still 6, so when she comes up throwing strikes and shows she can switch hit, (shes righty but can always lay down a lefty bunt but rarely hits a 10ub pitcher from her right side, usually walks or SO's)coaches always make it a point to talk to her and give her a big confidence boost that she loves to brag to her older sisters about. Anyways I think shes at the top percentage just didn't want her to fall behind, but I know shes only 8 and those 8 year old moments she has frustrate me but I have been thinking maybe if I just scale everything back everything will click naturally on its own. I'll have to have a talk with her on her teams. Thanx for your input.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Give her a choice. If she wants to play everyday and that's what makes her happy at age 8, let her stay with both teams. If it's too much drop the 10U team.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Another thing alot of folks on here will tell you, and I'm telling you as an ex pitcher all my life.*

Great pitchers at 8-10 usually are a pretty sight but so are falling stars. Some peak early, then hit a flat zone while others peak physically. Then they are mid pack and another set of dominate pitchers run the 12-14U years. Then you have YET another spike where "truly" dominate pitchers REALLY break away from the pack in 16-18U and high school.*

So I do understand your enthusiasm, I've got a DD pitcher, I've seen 1000's of female and male pitchers in my coaching and playing career. Relax and enjoy her and her games.*

Don't sell your soul at 8 that he/she will be the next mega star, and be the the first draft pick. You will wind up with an empty cup and very disappointed. If she is good things will fall into place, you try to force it and it cracks and breaks.*

Good luck.*

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Whatever ends up happening go for whatever gets your DD playing time in games. The whole attitude of "she'll be practicing against better players therefore she'll get better even though she is riding the bench" is totally a parent point of view. Yes they might get better but actually not being in the field for a whole season is not worth it (when they'll get from playing elsewhere and have a better time).

Let them go out and PLAY. The number of years someone gets to play is limited. Especially at the younger ages - if they love the game they want to play.

How good they are when they are older will somewhat take care of it self and something to worry about when it comes around.

Apr 27, 2012
In my experience, 1 team is plenty. My DD saw tremendous improvement throwing around and doing fun drills in the backyard.

Apr 27, 2012
I also agree with marriard that she should be placed on a team where she'll get actually game time.

May 25, 2010
My DD is 8 and started when she was 6 on a very talented 9u TB team...I have her on both rosters and playing both teams, surprisingly very little conflict but softball everyday. Problem is even though she loves playing I'm afraid maybe its way too much for her to learn all at once, but afraid the 10uB team will not teach her enough or the 8u team may not get her the playing time she needs to become better and more experienced. Any ideas if I should pull her from one team to another or leave her on both? Should I be more worried about experience or training at this point?
Neither. Young kids need to be on the field playing to get better, but the focus should be on fun, not on playing as much softball as the law allows.

An 8yo on two softball teams simultaneously will be on zero teams by the time she's 12.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207