Playing Dixie League baseball through 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
I live in rural east texas. I have noticed that alot of girls will play baseball until 10-12yrs old before making the transistion to fastpitch. Do you think there is any benefit in doing this?
Historically, baseball has had much better fundamental coaching (locally).
My 12yo DD has always played softball, but I have a 2yo girl and 3mo twins (girl & boy). I was considering starting them off playing baseball to make it easier... What do you guys think?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I had 1 girl on my baseball team that did not move to softball until she was in high school. She did not miss a beat making the transition. Obviously she was not a softball pitcher, she was our team ace in baseball though.

I do not think there is necessarily a benefit to playing baseball 1st but if the baseball coach is “better” then the softball coach I would play baseball.

For my DD, 9 years old, softball is as much of a social activity as a sports activity. If her friends were playing baseball we would be too.

Oct 18, 2009
The best non-pitcher on my dd's tb team only played little league baseball and never played softball except tb. I think at the younger ages the boys are more competitive and it raises their level of play. For the girls in our area you have to travel far to find good softball players under the age of 10. Also start your girl batting lefty!

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
My oldest DD played baseball til she was 14. We didn't have a softball program in our organization until she was 15. My youngest played until 10. At 11 she played softball in a 15u team,and she started. I find that girls that play against the boys, for the most part are more aggressive and seems to have better skill development then girls that play only softball. You must remember that in my area, softball is not held on a pedestal like in other parts of the country.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
The best non-pitcher on my dd's tb team only played little league baseball and never played softball except tb. I think at the younger ages the boys are more competitive and it raises their level of play. For the girls in our area you have to travel far to find good softball players under the age of 10. Also start your girl batting lefty!

Already planning for that!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06