Playing both up and down in high school ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
Well My DD played her first high school games tonight. and yes I said Games. Her varsity coach asked 3 freshman to play both ways tonight a catcher, a second baseman, and my DD. To make a long story short after My Dd really having no mound time in about 5 months. The jv pitcher struggled and walked 5 runs in in the first inning so the score was 5 nothing in the 1st inning. On comes My DD and the final score was we won 12-5. After not throwing for 5 months and only armed with her fast ball and change-up. She held her opponent scoreless for 6 innings, gave up 2 hits and Fanned 8 with 3 looking. Then went out and started her varsity game at 2nd base. and had 2 put-outs there.Man I was So happy for her she did not walk or hit a single batter :)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Where are you located? She is lucky since it is not typical to play both JV and Varsity on the same day. Most associations require only one or the other on a given day, and some rules are even more restrictive.

Nov 7, 2014
North Carolina and most of the time they do not play at same location but today they did.They where make-ups from saturdays rained out games :)

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Here a player can only play 14 innings during a double header, 7 innings in during a single game. Those innings can be split between JV and Varsity but the total has to end up the same.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Here a player can only play 14 innings during a double header, 7 innings in during a single game. Those innings can be split between JV and Varsity but the total has to end up the same.

So what happens when one of your games is tied at the end of 7 innings? Do you score it as a tie or quit for the day and finish at a later time?

Nov 7, 2014

wow that is weird I have never heard of that before :(

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
So what happens when one of your games is tied at the end of 7 innings? Do you score it as a tie or quit for the day and finish at a later time?

Then that player can play the remainder of the 14 innings allowed on Varsity. So game goes 8 innings she can play 6 on varsity.

Typically they'll just sub them for a couple innings.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Then that player can play the remainder of the 14 innings allowed on Varsity. So game goes 8 innings she can play 6 on varsity.

Typically they'll just sub them for a couple innings.

Only 7 innings per game. In the scenario of a single game on one day most starters will be ineligible to compete in the 8th inning. Something does not make sense.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Only 7 innings per game. In the scenario of a single game on one day most starters will be ineligible to compete in the 8th inning. Something does not make sense.

The easy answer would be they can play 2 games in one day. Where they play is up to the state association regs. Each state association is different-if you would like to know more feel free to google it for each state.

The only state regulations I care about is my own ;) It is common for a player to play one JV game and then one Varsity game (or at least some of the Varsity game). Its a great opportunity for Fresh/soph-the situation is a positive one. Nothing negative to discuss.

Devils advocate that goes from occasional to frequent is just a negative nancy (so to speak lol)

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
Way to go!! I know you are proud. Sounds like your DD can hold her own. I am in NC too. The HS that my DD will be going to does not have a JV and Varsity Team....just varsity. I am sure that tryouts are tuff on the Freshmen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd