Players leaving the field!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2012
Today I was watching a softball game because I am getting my ASA Umpire certification next year. I very strange thing happened. The team in the field turns a double play, and then they run off of the field thinking they have 3 outs. There are still runners on second and third. They leave the field, heading to the third base dugout. The defensive team is completely off of the field in foul territory. The two runners are un assisted in, but are told to run through home plate; then go to third and the one on second continue to second. A preceding runner did not pass another. Once reaching their original bases they run around to score. The Plate ump calls them safe. By this time the team is back on the field. The runner on secon misses third. It is also important to remember the runner makes their own base path. I think they should be called safe. They did touch bases in an illegal order, but this an appeal play. The defense lost the right to appeal when they left the field. It would be best if they both did not return to original bases. If they did not return to their original bases and the runner at second missed third and went home does the defense have the right to appeal? Can they cOne back on the field? Are they out of the base path? What is the correct call? I am very curious because the defense filed an official protest.

Apr 15, 2012
Very interesting circumstances of events but I do know by Babe Ruth rules 7.08-that any runner is out when she leaves the baseline heading for her dugout or her position believing that there is no further play may be declared out if the umpire judges the act of the runner to be considered abandoning her efforts to run the bases. As a 2 year experienced umpire in which I could be wrong regardless if the defense left the field with 2 outs, the runners would be called out for abandoning there bases. Where are the base coaches? they should know how many outs there were before the play even happened and they would have signaled to the runners to return.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2012
Very interesting circumstances of events but I do know by Babe Ruth rules 7.08-that any runner is out when she leaves the baseline heading for her dugout or her position believing that there is no further play may be declared out if the umpire judges the act of the runner to be considered abandoning her efforts to run the bases. As a 2 year experienced umpire in which I could be wrong regardless if the defense left the field with 2 outs, the runners would be called out for abandoning there bases. Where are the base coaches? they should know how many outs there were before the play even happened and they would have signaled to the runners to return.
The park we umpire at follows ASA rules, and they have a set of park rules. The park rules do not cover this situation, and that just apply to free defensive sub., ect. They let everyone play!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Today I was watching a softball game because I am getting my ASA Umpire certification next year. I very strange thing happened. The team in the field turns a double play, and then they run off of the field thinking they have 3 outs. There are still runners on second and third. They leave the field, heading to the third base dugout. The defensive team is completely off of the field in foul territory. The two runners are un assisted in, but are told to run through home plate; then go to third and the one on second continue to second. A preceding runner did not pass another. Once reaching their original bases they run around to score. The Plate ump calls them safe. By this time the team is back on the field. The runner on secon misses third. It is also important to remember the runner makes their own base path. I think they should be called safe. They did touch bases in an illegal order, but this an appeal play. The defense lost the right to appeal when they left the field. It would be best if they both did not return to original bases. If they did not return to their original bases and the runner at second missed third and went home does the defense have the right to appeal? Can they cOne back on the field? Are they out of the base path? What is the correct call? I am very curious because the defense filed an official protest.

Little sketchy in presentation or, at least, a bit difficult to understand. The D leaving the field is irrelevant to the runners and they do not lose any rights by leaving the field with two outs.

If the runners enter DBT, they cannot return. The moment the first runner enters DBT, she is declared out. Any runner who scored prior to that moment would count. All bases must still be touched in legal order.

Apr 19, 2012
Little sketchy in presentation or, at least, a bit difficult to understand. The D leaving the field is irrelevant to the runners and they do not lose any rights by leaving the field with two outs.

If the runners enter DBT, they cannot return. The moment the first runner enters DBT, she is declared out. Any runner who scored prior to that moment would count. All bases must still be touched in legal order.
We are still confused to! I will try to explain it batter. The D leaves the field. The runners head to the dugout on the third base side from second and third bases. They do not enter the dugout. The coach realizes it is only two outs. He then sends his runners to home, and then running to their original bases. They do not run through the middle of the the field. They run around the bases counterclockwise wise returning to their original bases. Then They run around the bases back to home plate. They are called safe. Is this correct? Did I explain it better? ASA rules!

Jun 22, 2008
If a player is tagging up and has passed succeeding bases, they must retouch any bases passed in reverse order. The only thing I can figure from your description of the play is the coach was trying to make absolutely sure the runners could not be appealed out for missing a base or not retouching in reverse order when tagging up (although in the play desribed, tagging up would not have been required). Yes, runners would be safe and runs would count.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So the runners advanced as follows???

R2 (started on 2B): 2-near dugout-4-3-2-3-4
R1 (started on 3B): 3-near dugout-4-3-4

Once you touch home (in the correct order) can you go back to 3B i.e., unscore a run? In the case above, isn't R1 scored and no longer in play after she touches Home the first time?

Apr 19, 2012
So the runners advanced as follows???

R2 (started on 2B): 2-near dugout-4-3-2-3-4
R1 (started on 3B): 3-near dugout-4-3-4

Once you touch home (in the correct order) can you go back to 3B i.e., unscore a run? In the case above, isn't R1 scored and no longer in play after she touches Home the first time?
That is the correct order, and R2 passes third on the way to the dugout not toching it. She touches it on the way back around.

Jun 22, 2008
I dont see where he said any of the runners touched home intially, he only said the runners left the field toward the 3rd base dugout, and I am completely speculating about why the coach would have them backtrack across home and to the bases. And no, once a runner has legally scored they cannot unscore themselves by retreating back across home to a base.

Apr 19, 2012
I dont see where he said any of the runners touched home intially, he only said the runners left the field toward the 3rd base dugout, and I am completely speculating about why the coach would have them backtrack across home and to the bases. And no, once a runner has legally scored they cannot unscore themselves by retreating back across home to a base.
Suppse that the runner at third scored legally, but the runner at second was called on an appeal for missing third. They scored because if you pass a base it is like you touched it(appeal), and you can't unscore yourself themselves. Would the first run count?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd