Player with Seizures ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 2, 2013
I have a Player that had a seizure during a fall ball game this year. Great second baseman and catcher.

I told parents I need a Drs. release before she can play spring ball. Well finally got one after three practices in the book with her only watching "Lord I needed her".
have release and registration papers in my book. VP over softball hasn't picked up check or paper work as two days ago.
I found out she had anouther seizure during the night and was hospitalized. I called and said "She can't play until we get a new release a current one".
I said "Park Rules".

My VP over softball said "your right".

I went thought a game seizure one to many times. one of the parents questioned me on our decision !. I said "lady I never want to hold another young girl having a seizure so she can't hurt herself not knowing if she was dying in my arms on that field or any other one So back Off! . Damn Silly Parents! - it's a Game Fools

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am happy to see you are willing to work with her but ...

You need to get out of the legal side of this and push it to the league or whoever is in charge.

Feb 3, 2016
I have a Player that had a seizure during a fall ball game this year. Great second baseman and catcher.

I told parents I need a Drs. release before she can play spring ball. Well finally got one after three practices in the book with her only watching "Lord I needed her".
have release and registration papers in my book. VP over softball hasn't picked up check or paper work as two days ago.
I found out she had anouther seizure during the night and was hospitalized. I called and said "She can't play until we get a new release a current one".
I said "Park Rules".

My VP over softball said "your right".

I went thought a game seizure one to many times. one of the parents questioned me on our decision !. I said "lady I never want to hold another young girl having a seizure so she can't hurt herself not knowing if she was dying in my arms on that field or any other one So back Off! . Damn Silly Parents! - it's a Game Fools

First off has the young girl been diagnosed with epilepsy? Second the VP is wrong about the second seizure as it didn't happen during the practice, game or grounds. What happens outside the hours not under your charge are none of your concern period. Most likely this young girl will have seizures out of her control until she get her medicine dosages under control. Stop fearing this player and be an advocate for her instead a person who wants to shun her for playing.
Other than the seizures she is just another girl wanting to be part of a team. Get the releases and the payments and move on.

Nov 29, 2009
Stop fearing this player and be an advocate for her instead a person who wants to shun her for playing.
Other than the seizures she is just another girl wanting to be part of a team. Get the releases and the payments and move on.

In the over-litigious, not-my-fault nature of our society today I don't blame the coach one bit for protecting himself legally. Even if he's 100% correct in his actions and gets hauled into court it's an expensive proposition for a volunteer coach.

As he stated. After 3 practices he knows he really needs her at 2nd base. Tough spot for the coach.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Do you have these "park rules" in writing. Let's take a smart look at this. You said it's a game fools, as if to suggest that it was the game that caused this, yet you say she had a seizure overnight. Which shows that this girl is at risk regardless of what she is doing. This girl and her parents are only looking for her to have some normalcy in her life. I can see how you might want one of her parents there at all times to be able to assist their dd during any medical situation. But to keep her from the team. You think you are protecting the rec league but you are probably exposing the leave to an ADA complaint. You have a doctor who says she can play. Who are you to say she can't?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It took a little bit but you are reading it differently then me, he is on the player's side. Just wants his butt protected a little bit if she gets hurt.

Other parents just want her gone.

I had a player that had a guardian on the field at all times, even in games. Ok with me, find another team if you do not like it.

Sep 2, 2013
The only thing my concern has been is her. I have half raised this girl.
Believe me she'd mine from weeks to all summers. I would never do anything to hurt her believe me. The Dr. gave her a new release and game on period.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2013
What is the diagnosis for what is causing the seizures? I speak from experience of the brother of a severely epileptic sister and uncle and the coach of an epileptic basketball player in saying that there are very widely ranging prognoses about the frequency and severity of seizures. They are also not always likely to be caused by exertion. There is still much to be learned before this young lady's activities are restricted and the worst thing that can be done is to overreact too early. She needs normalcy in what is a VERY frightening time for her.

May 6, 2015
sounds like Grady has it right, he did not say he did not want her, quite the opposite, just that after another seizure, he wanted a Dr's release. sounds perfectly reasonable and safe to me, should pretty much be required for any injury beyond scrapes, bruises, etc.. I would also insist as the coach (or get league to assist) that she always have a guardian with her (practices and games, pizza party whatever) just in case, one who is familiar with her and knows what to do when she has a seizure. not in any way discriminatory, just precautionary and good common sense.

Sep 2, 2013
I have carried her on vacations to NC and to the beach for weeks with us and have her insurance card my billfold. She has never been treated with anything but love. Her grandmother raises her. My twins and me have been there when she was baptized and no family member was there but I was when she came out of the water. I handed her a towel with a smile and a hug . I was at the hospital when her dad texted her "texted" . She is playing ball and I will be watching and caring for her as always it was just the way some people approached me that day as what was more import that got me going. New Release New Day We Play Saturday. Thanks Grady

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207