play at 2nd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
This depends on what the coach wants her to do in that situation.

If it is a younger ages (10U) I say get the out at 1st and allow the 1st baseman to take control and after they get the put out in an attempt to keep the runner on 2nd. So in 10U I would have agreed wit this coach. That said, I would've still taught my middle infield to be covering 2nd in case a play evolves.
If it is 12U (higher level of play) and up I would say everyone needs to be prepared for 3rd to make that play because it is one of her options when she fields the ball.
Just depends on different factors....not always black and white.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
got3

Welcome and let me say I was the one that thanked you first! Haha.
At 14u TB she did the right thing. 2B was wrong. Ball, Base, Backup. The three basic B's of defence. If there was a call by the coach telling the girls that the play is at first then she was wrong. But it just sounded like a routing play at second with a sleeping 2B.

Feb 20, 2014
I didnt know the coach said anything to her till on the ride home all i could tell her was just keep doing what your doing and it will all work out

Apr 1, 2010
got3

Welcome and let me say I was the one that thanked you first! Haha.
At 14u TB she did the right thing. 2B was wrong. Ball, Base, Backup. The three basic B's of defence. If there was a call by the coach telling the girls that the play is at first then she was wrong. But it just sounded like a routing play at second with a sleeping 2B.

I second that. I love the three B's. I was watching a college game once where Michelle Smith was commentating. She saw players not moving on plays and just launched into a great Ball, Base, Backup tirade on them. I got such a kick out of it, and she was absolutely right. (Especially playing college ball on tv...no excuse at all for not hustling to do your job out there!)

Dec 19, 2012
It sounds like a standard 5-4-3 double play ball.

I don't know if I've every seen a 5-4-3 double play in fastpitch. I don't remember ever seeing one........

Anyway, with no outs I know I would want to get the lead out if possible.

Oct 10, 2010
Coach was wrong. He should have gotten on his 2B, not her. Your daughter is preparing for 18/u, high school, college etc. Thats where the play should have gone. Don't sweat the coach, just keep making the right decisions.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Every play/situation needs a "little" more info before we jump to conclusions here. I look at it this way...

At 14U it could have been a pretty hard hit ball. A hard hit ball to 3B is a very quick bang bang play. In that situation 3B needs to make sure 2B is "at least on her way" to covering 2. At 14U the girls are good and quick enough to make a quick glance, and a quick reactive decision to either go to 2 or go to 1. If 2B is not moving towards 2 you cannot make that throw...especially at 14U. You go to 1B for the sure out.

Throwing a ball to an uncovered base is unacceptable in my book. Someone is in error when the base is uncovered...yes, I agree someone is supposed to be there...but they weren't...this does not make it okay to throw the ball. Buy using all of your philosophies of to "just throw the ball...someone is supposed to be there", you're all ok with the ball being thrown past empty bases. I know what you're gonna say..."the backup will get it"...well what if the back-up is not in her responsible position too? Now that runner in the OP could possibly score if the backup failed too...that's okay with you?

So let's see....

On a bunt...its ok to throw the ball to 1 if no one is covering right?

Here's another situation...0 outs, runner on 1..batter bunts to 3...3 throws to 1 for the out...runner rounds 2 and heads for 3...is it ok to throw the ball to 3 if no one back tracked to cover 3? Based on your philosophies...yes...throw the ball the the uncovered 3 because someone is supposed to be there.

[The only time it's acceptable to throw the ball to an uncovered base is when catch throws down on a steal to 2. In this play, many times the ball and player get there at the same time...also catch has an obstructed view so she cannot always see if someone is moving for coverage. Also, CF is a constant backup to throw downs...so the risk is limited]

JDP29: I agree with you, she is getting ready for 18U & HS, and she should be making the right decisions...and good choices. Regardless, you keep throwing the ball to uncovered bases you will be sitting.

DADONACHAIR: yes...always try to for the lead runner, that obviously doesn't change...but you can't blindly throw the ball around...that looks like REC play to me.

To the OP...Did the coach say anything to the 2B also about her failed responsibility??? I'm sure he/she did. The coach was right in talking to both of you as a bad situation was made worse.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If there are 2 outs in the inning, I teach all of my players to get the out at first unless it is an easy force play at their bag. Less than 2 outs, go for the lead runner on hard hit balls when it is a force out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd