play at 2nd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2014
Ok so My DD was playing 3rd with a runner on 1st no outs ball hit to her she came up throwing to 2nd to get the lead runner 2nd base did not cover and the ball went into right center coach got onto her for not makeing sure someone was there was she in the wrong

Feb 8, 2013
Coach is in the wrong play is at the bag. It's the responsibility of the defensive player to be at their position. Once the ball is in play, the fielder's should be heading to their assigned positions based on what had been taught, I.e some sort of playbook.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Nope.. Softball is fast. If she would have waited to throw the ball the lead runner would have beaten the throw. Second baseman should have been there. Sounds like your DD had her head in the game.

Feb 20, 2014
what i was thinking she is also a catcher and i have always told her to come up throwing if ss is not there its on the ss

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Dissenting opinion -

The fielder in that instance should be able to recognize that there's no play at second base and instead go to first base. So I think the coach has a complaint.

There are some cases where you just throw and expect the fielder to be there, but that's usually on a play where you can't get an out at another base and runners aren't as likely to advance if you miss. Stolen-base attempts are typically good examples of that.

Feb 20, 2014
Im new here and i know not eveyone will see every play the same way. If you get on to not just my DD but anyone on the team for what they have worked on in pratcice then what are you telling them they have always been told to go after the lead runner. I see it no different than getting on to the catcher for for throwing to 2b and the ss not being there to cover the ss knows she should be there.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It sounds like a standard 5-4-3 double play ball. I think it is a stretch to give 2b a pass on not doing their job. Now change it to a sac bunt where corners crash and 2b must cover 1b and that is a different matter. But from the description this was a ground ball to the 5 hole.

Feb 20, 2014
yeah it was just a ground ball hit to her. I'm not one of them dads that are like dont get on to my DD if she makes a mistake tell her about it. And i know its not all ways the best thing but if she makes a mistake i will be the first one to tell her about it on the way home but im trying to get better about that. lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd