Pitching video recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2015
My daughter has moved up to 12U and has shown interest in becoming a pitcher. She's worked a bit with the pitchers from her summer team but hasn't seen any game time yet. I am going to work with her a lot this fall and give her an inning or two during fall ball.

Is there any YouTube videos out there that anyone recommends that gives great instruction for pitching?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
There are very few Youtube videos that I would recommend. There is so much misinformation floating round out there that it can be sketchy to randomly surf. Feel free to post any videos you're curious about and I think folks here can give a pretty good idea is it will be helpful or not.

The links below provide some of the best information you will find on pitching--for free!

Videos | Balswick Fastpitch
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18135-drive-mechanics-28.html
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18165-do-do-2.html#post230908
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/10321-i-r-classroom.html
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18135-drive-mechanics.html

Enjoy and welcome to DFP!

Ken

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2015
DD is a fan of Amanda Scarborough's videos and website. She talks a lot about the mental part of the game too. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice for other technical videos too. Good for her!

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Tell her to listen to her body and stay away from Google and You Tube most
Of the Info on the web is so so wrong the Videos Java made are excellent and go to the pitching stickies learn all you can! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
DD is a fan of Amanda Scarborough's videos and website. She talks a lot about the mental part of the game too. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice for other technical videos too. Good for her!

The big high backswing is not required but everything else is pretty spot on, biggest thing is the crisp quality of the super slo mo video so you can see each part of the motion...the funny thing is how almost all high level pitchers have the same basic mechanics and they almost all teach different than they actually pitch it is mind-blowing

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Get an iPad Mini or the new iPhone 6. Discussing and showing videos of good form during practice is a must in my book. Have them emulate it, video them attempting it and show them instant feedback. Too many times the girls believe they are doing it right because they can't see themselves. Work together, let the live video be the referee on what is right or good and what is wrong. Start with the whip and chain backwards. Don't try to fix too much at once, you'll only frustrate her. Let her have victories on a daily basis. Pitching is years of having someone one tell you you're doing it wrong. Shooting for perfection but never really ever getting there. Daily victories and praise goes a long ways.

Last edited:
May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Also, these guys on here will dissect Cat Osterman and tell you she needs to do this or that. And they're right most of the time. Keep this in mind, pitching is a lot like rock and roll, you can be a bit sloppy playing rock and roll and still sound great. There is a lot of slop in R&R. There is a lot of slop in good pitching. Each of the elites have their quirks that aren't the "norm." You don't have to be perfect to be good. But there's nothing wrong with trying to achieve it.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
There are excellent resources on this site as others have suggested- I am just going to put in a pitch for PaulyGirl fastpitch- I like Rick Pauly's videos alot, you can download them in snippets from a menu on hit site tbased on what your DDs needs are, he is very practical and both explains and demonstrates things very well. Common sense pitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1