Pitching velo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
We just feel like she doesn't have the time, she is 17. We feel like the recruiting door is closing. Yes, she has college coaches interested in her, but I feel like if she continues to not throw as fast as she can and has that they will lose that interest.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Trust me when I say that I feel ya and understand exactly where you are coming from. I'm not suggesting that she doesn't continue to search for that additional ooomph in velocity...that will likely never cease. It's (almost) worth trying everything. Post a couple video's here, there could absolutely be something the DFP crew picks up on. Incorporate long toss on a regular basis if you haven't already. Use caution with the weighted balls and understand how to use them in a positive manner if you go that route. Keep her loose (mentally and physically) and do as much as possible to promote that "live" arm. There are a ton of little things that a pitcher parent can and will try.
But, don't lose sight of the importance of finding the best overall fit for your kid. If she tries to fit a certain "mold" for a certain type of coach she may miss out on finding her perfect fit. Most likely, additional mph will come (and some college coaches can recognize and work with that) but if she is spinning that ball, putting it where there aren't and keeping them off balance she can be highly successful and valuable to any staff. Good luck with it!!

May 27, 2013
I agree with others who mentioned trying a new PC. Sometimes a new set of eyes can spot a fixable flaw which can improve mechanics ——> increased velocity. As far as playing in college, my dd probably cruises at 56-58, might touch 60 occasionally if she really lets go, plays D3 in a good conference. Her change up makes the difference. What I’ve noticed most about D3 is that it’s more the hitting/defense than the pitching that makes a team very good. We played a few top 30 teams this year and not one pitcher truly stood out to me as a flamethrower. The hitting is what made the difference.

I’ll use Tufts as an example. They are a top 10 team and I believe for most of the season their pitching staff had the lowest team ERA in the country. I’d say one, maybe two of their pitchers hit the low 60’s on a good day. Certainly did not live there. Your DD’s velocity is fine. Work on spin/spots and have another PC evaluate her.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Have been there. Am there. DD (17yo) has never been a hard thrower. Her velocity has crept up over time of course, but is similar to your DD. Cruising in mid-upper 50s. Tried just about everything to find those few extra mph and have no doubt we will continue to do so, even if it is quixotic. However, I've come to conclude that her genetics and athletic makeup are what have primarily limited her velo. Could some mechanical tweaks or some deadlifts help? Maybe. But she's just not going to throw that hard no matter how much work she puts in or how much "want to" she has. I used to worry about it. Now, I don't bother. She is who she is and has other strengths; namely, spot and spin. We try to chip away at the velo, but we are most focused on making her strengths even stronger. I think about it as simply embracing who she is.

The job is to get outs and to give your team a chance to win. If you can do that, you can pitch somewhere...even if it is not Florida State.

May 27, 2013
I’ll also share that my dd started using heavy plyo balls on her own during her warm-ups. She throws 2 different weights from the K position with her different pitches. She’ll also do the same in between innings while her team is in the dugout.

She has said that it has helped to make her grip stronger, therefore she is able to generate better spin on the ball. It has also helped with her velocity as far as I’m concerned. Appears that her speed remains more consistent for 7 innings rather than dropping off after a few innings like it did last year.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I’ll also share that my dd started using heavy plyo balls on her own during her warm-ups. She throws 2 different weights from the K position with her different pitches. She’ll also do the same in between innings while her team is in the dugout.

She has said that it has helped to make her grip stronger, therefore she is able to generate better spin on the ball. It has also helped with her velocity as far as I’m concerned. Appears that her speed remains more consistent for 7 innings rather than dropping off after a few innings like it did last year.
Just curious: How heavy are the plyos? Up to this point, I've generally been reluctant to go beyond a 9 oz. ball for Ks or full pitch.

May 27, 2013
Just curious: How heavy are the plyos? Up to this point, I've generally been reluctant to go beyond a 9 oz. ball for Ks or full pitch.

I’ll ask her and let you know for sure, but I think she uses the 8oz and 11oz balls. I bought her the TCB plyo balls - they are baseball size - just FYI. She also never does full pitch with them. Just some short-distance K’s.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Once they stop growing, the "easy" speed increases you saw in 12u and 14u end. Then it becomes more about technique, strength and agility.

And, you know, as pattar said, genetics.

For some reason, with softball pitchers especially, there seems to be this idea that anybody can throw x speed by just doing everything right. But as with anything athletic, we all have our physical ceilings. I don't know what that number is, but some girls, no matter what they do, just cannot and will not throw 60 mph. The same way some baseball pitchers are going to top out at 90 or 85 or 80.

We don't look at high school pitchers in baseball and just assume they'd all be throwing 88 if only they did a, b, and c. Why do we do that with HS girls?

I don't say all that to discourage the OP or anybody else, but if you're not seeing any significant mechanical issues, it's likely she's close to being maxed out from a velocity standpoint. And that's fine! She can still be great if she has multiple pitches she can locate. She can still be great if she is mentally tough enough to pitch in big games. She can still be great if she's consistent and reliable.

May 27, 2013
This is a warning to all dads.. only use a coach that measures speed. If they aint getting faster... change PCs.

Technique always trumps muscle.

And don't let anyone fool you.. it's all about speed.

P5 D1? Maybe. There have been many, many, MANY pitchers recruited who do not hit 60 playing at all levels.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Mechanics are (almost) everything. My DD was a HS senior before she hit 60, cruised around 57-58. Now has just finished her senior year at a D3. This year she hit 65. Cruises around 60-62. She still has 2 years from covid if she wants them. Don't know if she'll get measurably faster; she's 5'4". To go with the speed has come a little less control. Every time you make one improvement here there's usually another adjustment somewhere else.

Her big jump in speed was from about 56 to 60 due to finally getting the whip right from internal rotation. Had a major negative impact on her change up. Her college coach has helped a lot getting her more speed, and also worked with a new changeup which really kicked in half way through this season. After a rough start to the season she finished very well. Her coach said her latest jump in speed was some mechanical, but also a lot of work n the weight room in the off-season.

If I were to offer some words to your DD, they'd go something like this: You're fast enough to pitch in college. Keep chasing speed, but don't downplay spins and spots. Trust the work. Trust the process. Get a second or third opinion from other coaches; try some camps/clinics where you can get input from several coaches in a weekend. Don't put too much into genetics. I'm a firm believer that proper work generally overcomes genetics. Be mechanically sound and continue hitting the weights. Don't forget proper rest. Longball is BIG, don't neglect. Everything is a constant adjustment. Dream big, but manage expectations. (I've heard more than one D1 coach say they won't look at a pitcher shorter than 5'10". I haven't found it universally true, but mostly so, at least from my experience.) More than anything, love the game. And finally, as far as college goes, you pretty much have three things you can love: the college, your major, and your team. If you love two out of three, you should be fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma