Pitching Technique for The Beginner - Which technique?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
I've been a coach for my primary school (under 12 boys and girls) softball team for 4 years. Since softball is not so popular in Malaysia, so we don't have private coach to coach our boys and girls for the correct pitching technique. I got exposed to various pitching technique just through Youtube and a few training videos that I bought from internet.

I still wonder which technique should be first introduced to the players. Some say fast ball. However I try to avoid fast ball since the ball always end up above the catcher's head. I prefer backhand change up since (I think) that is the only solution to solve the problem.

I wish to hear from you all which technique should I start first, what technique should be the next and which technique should I avoid.

Mar 13, 2010
Always start fastball. It's the easiest to learn and teaching them control early on will make it so much easier.

Change up is generally the best to go to as the second pitch.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Start with the fastball and determine why the pitch is high since obviously many people are capable of throwing it for a strike.

Possible simple things to look for when comparing to youtube video:

1. Is the pitcher closed (facing batter with hips and shoulders) at release instead of mostly open...they shouldn't be. If this is the case compare the angle of the landing foot (for starters) with videos of good pitchers.

2. It the pitchers hand behind the ball when they pull down to pitch (like slow pitching or even bowling) or is the ball/palm facing third (for righties) in an open position on the way down. Again...compare this to video of good pitchers. It should be towards rthird and not hand behind the ball.

These are just a few ideas to get you started. There are many simple things to check as to when fastballs are going high. Don't give up on it.

Training videos could be leading you down the wrong path. It depends what they are.

May 7, 2008
Zul77: For beginners, the first thing to learn is the correct motion, and the second part of this is the correct timing. A pitcher that throws straight fastballs high generally has a timing problem which can produce a weight shift over the front leg and a late release point. I would not teach a backhand change until my pitcher can consistently throw the ball in the strike zone. There are many drills you can use to help develop good motion with weight back, if you check out some of the videos offered for sale by various instructors. My email is RMGCCO@aol.com. If you would like to contact me I will volunteer my time to give you a little more specific direction. Rich

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
Thanks guys.... maybe I should try Mr. Bill Hillhouse pitching technique for next season softball tournament. I hope his technique can overcome my players' pitching problem.

Apr 25, 2010
If you are going to switch to Hillhouse, I strongly recommend buying his video NOW...lol. I say that simply because when we took dd to Bill, he basically rebuilt her and it took her a little bit to make the adjustment. The longer you have to work on it, the better off she will be. That being said, I can't recommend Bill highly enough. And my dd is a totally different (in a good way) pitcher because of him and his guidance.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
If you are going to switch to Hillhouse, I strongly recommend buying his video NOW...lol. I say that simply because when we took dd to Bill, he basically rebuilt her and it took her a little bit to make the adjustment. The longer you have to work on it, the better off she will be. That being said, I can't recommend Bill highly enough. And my dd is a totally different (in a good way) pitcher because of him and his guidance.

Thanks crystlemc :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves