Pitching question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, a changeup is a pitch.
If all these pitchers have so many different pitches, where are they?
There are lots of videos showing 12-6 drops and 6-12 riseballs. There are a couple of videos of curveballs.
BTW
Glad you do consider a change up a pitch!
Nice to read you actually answered your own question and do recognize seeing there are several movement pitches in fastpitch!

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I had a great conversation with the founder of an organization that most of you probably know of. He has produced All Americans and some of the best pitchers in softball and has won multiple PGF championships. Specifically, we talked about my DD and what skillset she needed to have to play D1 P5 and be successful. As far as pitching, he told me straight away, she needs 3 pitches. Not to bore you with details, as we talked about speed, differential, placement, mentality, etc... But at the end of the day, he said any pitcher worth their salt needed a drop, a rise, and change. Hearing it from him was all I needed to know.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I know this is a baseball quote, but it applies to the conversation Greg Maddux on changing speed. He starts off talking about recognizing speed differences in pitches.

You just can’t do it,” he said. Sometimes hitters can pick up differences in spin. They can identify pitches if there are different releases points or if a curveball starts with an upward hump as it leaves the pitcher’s hand. But if a pitcher can change speeds, every hitter is helpless, limited by human vision.

“Except,” Maddux said, “for that [expletive] Tony Gwynn.”

Apr 28, 2014
Accuracy comes from repetition over and over again. Last night DD was struggling in the first half of her pitching lesson. Her PC stopped her and made some minor corrections and she was back to her old self. I think a great PC is so important to a pitchers success. The other area is the pitchers ability to learn how to make adjustments during the game. When pitchers are young and a pitch isn't working they will stop throwing it in games. As they get older they will learn that it's not acceptable to do that and they must learn to make changes on the fly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd