Pitching Machines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Let me start by saying I'm not a huge fan of using a pitching machine to work on a players swing. I've decided that for me, learning to swing and learning to hit are two separate and distinct skills to train. So that said, I spent a ton of time working on my daughters swing. Now it's time for her to apply that to hitting a live pitch. She does well with me throwing to the best of my ability. I compensate for lack of speed by reducing the distance. I just feel like she needs to see a ball and work on hitting a ball square that is traveling at 55 mph. She's only 12, but made her JR. high team and plays 14u...so 55 isn't out of the question and not something she's seen.

So my question is....does the machine work as a good tool to train seeing and squaring up on a ball moving at that speed.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not as opposed to a machine as some other posters are and think they are a great tool. I am not sure what a good percentage would be but hitting x percent of a machine ball at speed has helped my DD.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Pitching machines are great for adjusting to different pitch speeds, but a lot of coaches use them as a crutch. We prefer front toss from a short distance to create a reaction time similar to higher pitch speeds. A high quality L-screen is a must, and make sure there are no holes in the netting.

Gotta tell a good story on myself. When my DD was 12 I built a batting cage in my basement. Being a "do it yourself" kind of guy and a cheap SOB to boot, I decided to make an L-screen out of PVC piping and added some sand to make it stable. I used landscape fabric and zip ties to cover the frame and I even painted it black! The first line drive my DD hit went right through the landscape fabric and whizzed right by my head. It was a good thing I was sitting on a bucket! Lesson learned, and fortunately not the hard way!

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
I use them as a change for my players, as they get bored with all the tee work, front toss, ect drills.
We set the machine a little faster than game speed, and its the last station they do after hitting practice

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
It's just a matter of using the tool for what it does well and in proportion. Using one for the purpose of generating a repeatable high speed pitch, particularly within the context of the other work you're doing, isn't going to hurt anything.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Yes absolutely , they have their place. Even OU uses them as do many colleges I would imagine. Just don't rely on them as a replacement for live pitching.

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
As others have said. They have their purpose. I prefer front toss from a shorter distance, but the machine certainly won't hurt.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Let me start by saying I'm not a huge fan of using a pitching machine to work on a players swing. I've decided that for me, learning to swing and learning to hit are two separate and distinct skills to train. So that said, I spent a ton of time working on my daughters swing. Now it's time for her to apply that to hitting a live pitch. She does well with me throwing to the best of my ability. I compensate for lack of speed by reducing the distance. I just feel like she needs to see a ball and work on hitting a ball square that is traveling at 55 mph. She's only 12, but made her JR. high team and plays 14u...so 55 isn't out of the question and not something she's seen.

So my question is....does the machine work as a good tool to train seeing and squaring up on a ball moving at that speed.

I love to read the responses to your question Frozen.

Its early season for me, and I only use tee and front toss for now, with the machine used for fly balls, line drive pop ups etc.

Into the season I will use it for SPEED, high Velocity, and show them how slow and early you MUST be.

then I go back to front toss, and velocity.

Speed is max on the jugs, 70mph on the Machine, but my gun says 61 to 63 mph.

It can also be used for things like the check swing drill, I think they are a good tool.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Hate them...but I still use them

In terms of just getting used to seeing something at that speed then yes, that is a purpose I will use them for...I also tell my players don't get too excited by great results or too down on poor results...

DD2 can hit a 62mph pitch from 40' off our JUGS machine. She'll be 12 tomorrow and is a whopping 4'11/95 pounds. There's a few in here who have seen recent video of DD2 and will tell you he swing is far from great. But she has very good hand\eye coordination and understands how to time a pitch...again, this does not make her a good hitter. It doesn't do anything either to make her a complete hitter (which to me is squaring pitches throughout the whole zone, adjusting to different speeds\locations, or teaching her count or situtational awareness).

I like to use the machine to:

- Teach my hitters what balls look like (set the machine up high\low\in\out)
- Put 2 machine's side by side to teach them what a change up looks like vs. fastball - this is very effective IMO. I don;t even have them swing, I just want them to take a check swing so they can feel the "grab" of the core pulse of the swing.

Other uses:
- Remove annoying hair on my back (it only stings for a lil' bit)
- teach my catchers to frame
- practice short hops with my first basemen

Front toss still rules IMO because you can adjust speed\distance\location\spin easily making the hitter learn adjustability in any number of regards...CP

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I use a machine at nearly every single team practice, but not how you may think. I use it for shooting pop ups, line drives, and grounders. I have stopped pitching with it all together. As we all know hitting is timing, and imo the biggest part of fastpitch timing is the pitchers windmill. So, we go through front toss, then to me in full windmill, and finally one of our pitchers in full game mode. I think there's a place for it, but as said before, swinging and hitting are two different things.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii