Pitching Machines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Do you believe in them for HITTING??

If not whats a good alternative?

I believe in them as part of instruction. Just like everything else (tees, side toss, front toss, other drills, etc).

I do prefer live BP but that isn't always available (and good quality of BP can be hard to find). I also like short front toss (so hard front toss from behind a screen from about 15-20' away from the plate.

May 31, 2011
I think they are good to use as a part of your program. Obviously a ball flying in at a consistent speed in pretty much the same place has its pros and cons. If you have a kid that is struggling with game speed, I think it's great to help them develop some confidence and better timing. It also allows you to get in a lot of swings in a relatively short amount of time. Live BP would be better, but that just isn't feasible very often.

This is anecdotal and things could go south in the next tournament, but my DD had been struggling. Prior to our last tourney, I broke out the Jugz machine and cranked it to about 55 mph...a decent speed for her level. Bear in mind, she had worked off a tee several times that week, and had done a lot of front toss one day as well. In 3 tournament games she had two triples, two doubles, two walks, a ground out, and one pop out to deep centerfield...I think just having the confidence hitting the ball hard @55 helped her a bunch. Like Yogi Berra said...the game is 99% half mental. Probably a lot more for girls!

A good alternative IMO is short front toss from behind a screen. That being said, I still like the idea of the machine to help a kid track it 43 feet at game speeds. It's not a substitute for tee work, side, and front toss drills, but it is a good thing to throw in from time to time.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A pitching machine is a tool. It is part of a progression:

(1) Swings w/o trying to hit a ball. (No ball.)
(2) Swings with ball on hitting tee. (Ball is not moving.)
(3) Swings against pitching machine. (Ball is moving at a more or less constant speed with little or no movement.)
(4) Swings against live pitching in batting practice. (Ball is moving at a constant speed, some movement, pitcher is trying to "throw strikes").
(5) Swings in a game.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. I learned my lesson 30 years ago. I have a really nice Jugs machine that lays in the garage, in our way. Of course, there are the exceptions that some experienced coaches mentioned, but I cringe when my students teams go to the cages, because I know they are just going to be swinging wildly, at everything.

I can get more work done with a batter, tossing them 15 TCB balls, than I could ever do with a pitching machine.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD was in a slump and I tried T work, side and front toss but couldn't seem to get her timing back. Took her to the cage for an evening and she went 3 for 4. I think it does have a place getting the bat around to catch up to a 55-60mph fast ball.

May 31, 2011
DD was in a slump and I tried T work, side and front toss but couldn't seem to get her timing back. Took her to the cage for an evening and she went 3 for 4. I think it does have a place getting the bat around to catch up to a 55-60mph fast ball.

Agreed...I'm not going to use it every day, but I know for a fact it helped mine with her timing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd