Pitching Injury - Poor Field to Blame?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2010
My 13 year-old dd has a pulled hamstring on her landing leg and sciatica. She pitched a lot of innings this past weekend, but usually this wouldn't be a problem. Saturday night, she had to come in cold in relief and pitch in one of the worst circle's she's ever seen. There was not just a hole in front of the rubber, which is typical around here. There was a ditch going almost all the way out to the chalk with concrete as a base and a lot of loose field dirt on top. She was sliding all over the place, but made the adjustment she needed to get the outs. Obviously she was having to use some weird mechanics to make it happen, because by the end of the game she was hurting. She just sucked it up and pitched well again Sunday morning, thinking she was just sore. Her toughness amazes me sometimes. Anyway, should we let the tournament director know that it's a safety hazard, or just deal with the result? I'm not looking to make a stink at all, I just don't want this to happen to other girls. Her team really needed her in this coming weekend's tournament, and she's not going to be able to play. :(

Mar 15, 2010
You should definitely inform the TD. Aside from the injury concerns there are also potential legal issues. While you may not be the type to sue for an injury caused by the field conditions at this tournament there are others that will. Each and every lawsuit increases the costs as tournaments and leagues pass the costs of increased premiums on to us. Bollinger has some interesting information on their brochure for Field Owner Insurance. You can download it at: http://www.bollingerasa.com/PDF/Field Owner 2010.pdf. I have also posted a snippet below

MAIN BASIS OF LAWSUITS: FIELD CONDITIONS
A comprehensive study of lawsuits involving bodily injury arising out of the practice and play of softball reveals that most of these allege improper field conditions*. Poor design and improper layout of the field is often cited, but the most common reason for injury is alleged to be poor upkeep and maintenance. Negligence is then attributed to the field owner, since, in many cases, the unsafe field
conditions are easily correctable.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How many innings? Have you considered that when your DD starts hurting, then you should tell her to stop?

There are overuse injuries in softball. So, how much did she pitch?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
She had to come in cold? Sounds like a coaching problem as well. I will always have a pitcher throwing between innings "just in case".

Apr 2, 2010
I was actually corrected by my dd last night. She didn't come in cold that game, but in a different game after that. I'm sure that didn't help. In 2 days she pitched 3 1/2 games, but that's not unusual. The most she can handle in a weekend is 4-5 games with big breaks in between. She didn't have to throw a lot of pitches, but overuse is definitely something we monitor pretty closely. It's very obvious when she's reached the wall as far as her speed, spin, and control. Except for a couple of batters when she first came in to relieve the other pitcher, she never struggled, even after she started to hurt. I don't think she even realized what was going on. I've come to find out that our dd doesn't know her body well enough to know when its something serious or something minor. She pretty much reacts to it all in the same manner.

I did let them know, but haven't heard anything yet. I'll keep you all posted. Hopefully, she'll heal quickly, and it won't be a nagging problem.

Apr 18, 2010
My DD pitched in a XMAS Tournament and on Saturday it was really cold. She pitched 2 games and after the second game she complained of pain in her right lower back. I thought it was the new cleats we bought her and the next day I switched out her cleats and she pitched another 2 games. We won the tournament, but afterwards the pain was just as bad. I thought she was just sore. After a week the pain finally went away and then I had her swinging off the tee and a sharp pain came back. We rested 2 wks and then went back to pitching and I thought she was cured! She hit some inside pitches in batting practice and the pain came back. We went to the doctor and she pulled her facet muscle. She had to go to physical therapy and was out 6 weeks! No hitting and no pitching. She does core exercises daily and uses a fitness ball and therabands. She has to build up her core and will continue to do this if she wants to continue playing. The doctor said to expect "flare ups" here and there. I've talked to parents who have daughters pitching in high school and their daughters also had the same core weakness and their daughters had to go to physical therapy and have a core regimen in place. My DD is 12 years old and is tall and lanky. I thought it was a pulled hamstring at first. Today we pitched for 1 1/2 hrs and did some batting for another hour and afterwards she has to do cool down stretches. It's frustrating for her because she has to stretch for about 30 minutes before and after practice while the other girls just show up to practice and games without any worries! If her back is stiff before or after practice/games she applies a heating pad to her lower back to loosen it up.

Apr 2, 2010
I think you maybe onto something with the core training. We will definitely be arriving early to practices and tournaments to stretch. Out of curiosity, which cleats were you using. SHe got some new cleats recently. They cost a fortune. I hope they didn't contribute to the problem.

She is doing better. Anti-inflamatory meds and a mild muscle relaxant at night seems to be helping a lot.

I still haven't received any response from the TD. Hopefully they will fix the canyon in front of the pitching rubber.

Last edited:
I'd like to respond to the initial question about field conditions and the core comments. First, definitely contact the TD and get that circle fixed. The legal ramifications are bad and the added cost to all of us is just one problem. They may have to shut down the park if they get sued. It's not hard to fix the dirt around the mound, we can do it between games or during a game if necessary. We have had to stop a game because the umpire didn't want to, but the rubber was loose and moved every time the pitcher pushed off. TD agreed with our coaches.

As for the other comments - stretch at home and after practice (unless a doctor has specifically instructed otherwise.). Do your dynamic warm-ups before practice and games. You will benefit greatly. There are some great exercises that all girls should be doing to strengthen the hip area too. They are simple and only take a few minutes (5-7) a day.

Be cautious in the weight room girls, squats are ok but don't try to keep up with the boys - they are built differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes