Pitching Injuries

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 7, 2016
Of course, like anyone else, I want to avoid my DD getting a pitching injury. I'm more concerned about shoulder and elbow injuries (and/or damage) at this point.
I know this is purely up to bad form, but would appreciate some guidance as to what are the bad form types to look out for. I read that pushing the ball with shoulder, i.e. closing too soon as a big issue for shoulders and HE is one for elbows... but again, this is just what I hear and possibly inaccurate.
I have seen pitching coaches that have keyhole scars in their shoulders from repair and I really don't want my DD to go through months of that plus rehab, etc, etc... Of course these coaches were probably the pitching guinea-pigs and I know some are trying to teach the right methods to have their students damage their bodies too. Has any pitcher gone through a successful college career and not have shoulder/elbow/hip/leg issues..?
I believe warmups and stretching are a good part of preventative care, but what else?
Thanks in advance.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You need to monitor her use, both war up and games . Do not let coach,pitch her too much,.

There is a lot of pressure, force her to shutdown and be the bad dad or mom if you need to be.r

Jun 12, 2015
Watch her throwing as much as her pitching. Last year DD had elbow tendinitis. I'm 99% sure it was her bad throwing mechanics that caused it, then pitching irritated it. After a month off we focused really hard on mechanics in both throwing and pitching. I read a lot here on pitching and the Wasserman site on throwing. She hasn't had any more problems, plus she's better at both throwing and pitching now thanks to that forcing us to really focus on mechanics. We also try to be careful about overuse. We play in a lot of tournaments. We haven't been able to find a set number of pitches that's got any evidence to back it up, so I watch her like a hawk as the day wears on. I can tell when she starts getting tired and her mechanics start to drift. If she's good, the coach wants her pitch; it can be hard to draw that line in the sand but you have to be willing to do it.

Feb 7, 2013
I know this advice isn't for everyone but with DDs pitching, we never shut it down for more than a few weeks, twice a year but instead she practiced and pitched slow and steady year round. She "only" practiced 3x a week for about 30 - 40 minutes at a time. She works fast and probably threw 125 pitches during that time. She always warmed up by overhand throws, t drill, 45s, and walk thrus (5-7 mins.). Btw - only iced her shoulder and bicep once in 7 years and has never been injured (other than a broken nail throwing the rise ball). Moderation with good mechanics and warm ups is the key IMO.

Jun 12, 2015
We don't ice unless there's a reason to. She really hates it. We take a few weeks off in July/August, and the whole month of December (except regular team practices).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06