pitching help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2010
My daughter is 14 yrs old. Throws 5 different pitches. At lessons and mine and her time she throws hard. But in games seems to let up some and try to aim more. Have tgried several things but need help and suggestions.

Thank you

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Hello Slingit

I had this same problem as my daughter had a comfort level in games for control. For the last two years she slowed down during games. This year, she just turned 15 and what we did this off season was video herself, I would tell her to say 1 when she felt she was throwing comfortable like she does in games, 3 for all out as fast/quick as she can and 2 was somewhere in between. By her seeing it herself and feeling it while practicing, she got it. After a couple weeks, I started calling them out for her building on more 2's than 1's and 3's. She is now comfortable at 2 and I keep adding 3's while practicing omitting 1's. I am beginning to see more 3's in games. Its made a difference with her, maybe it will help.
Good luck
BobbyB

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What happens when she tries to throw hard during a game? In my experience, Daddies during practice have a much more generous strike zone than the umpires.

My guess is that (1) she doesn't know how to read an umpires strike zone and (2) she's been taught to "throw strikes" (whatever that means) as opposed to being able to throw the ball to a specific point. Therefore, she has to slow the ball down in order to have enough control to "throw strikes".

As an aside, I doubt she throws 5 different pitches...I'm sure she tries to throw 5 different pitches, but I seriously doubt that she gets more than one of them to break enough to be noticeable.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse