pitching glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2018
My 13 year old DD is a pitcher and outfielder. She has a nice 12.5 glove she likes, but it is kinda heavy. Her pitching coach told her she might want to think about getting a lighter smaller glove for pitching.
1. is this necessary?
2. if so, what are some good gloves for pitching?

Thanks

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
I don't have any recommendations, but I had a conversation with DD's pitching coach that brought out the same comment. I mentioned that I was looking at a Nakona glove for DD and she told me to be careful, that DD's glove was good for pitching and a Nakona might be too heavy. Basically, she needed to stay with the glove she has.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Interesting. This is actually a discussion point in youth baseball, where the cookie cutter glove size/style for pitchers is actually too big and heavy for kids when they begin pitching, but it's a different pitching motion and the larger glove can actually pull the player open or off line. What they're looking for in BB is a glove that counterbalances the arm action on the other side. If you have a player that it looks like the glove is controlling them more than they are controlling the glove, then I'd say that it's an issue at any position, but especially at pitcher.

That being said, I'm always in favor of smaller gloves for youth players. I'd think that as a pitcher who has to swing that glove around that many times in a game, a heavy glove would cause more fatigue than a lighter one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi