Pitching Feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 28, 2016
Feedback on this pitcher? I see that she needs to use her legs more in the proper manner. I also see that she is not using her glove side the way she should and she is opening her front shoulder. I see pretty solid internal rotation. But of course, we all need more work on elbow snap and IR! Anything else? Thanks for your help!

https://youtu.be/eMBljiJAqJc

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
I'm not an expert but did stay at a holiday inn were several experts were staying at the same time in Indiana. Lol

She looks good!
I would like to see more lean as she pushes of the rubber....not a bend but runners lean. She seems to be sticking her bottom out away from her release (towards 1st base) thereby appearing to miss getting brush interference. She might try staying tall through her release. Take a look from a front side view to make sure she is getting that brush.

I'm sure the true experts will chime in....

Jun 28, 2016
So as far as brush interference goes, why is this so important? It just helps with the release trigger and timing? Thank you for the input and your help!!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She is a big, strong girl. She should be pretty good. But, she has problems that are stopping her from reaching her potential.

1) She is not getting the full benefit of internal rotation. She is finishing with HE (hello elbow) rather than pronation of the forearm. So, she is losing speed.

She should be doing this drill...perhaps 100,000 times or so should do it. Two big points for your DD: (A) Ball *UP* at 9. (B) Forearm rotation ("pronation") during release.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NE2GGn5mHWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2) The little hop at the end is a nasty habit. It saps her speed. She bends forward at release, causing her to get out of balance, so the she hops. I'm sure it looks and feels cool, but the fact is that the hop is reducing her speed. Her body (other than her arm) needs to come to a complete stop at release.

3) Her leg drive is weak. She should be in a sprinter's position at the start of the pitch.

4) I'm a little concerned that she is closing too much.

4) Brush interference (BI)...BI does two things: (1) Allows a pitcher to throw the ball very hard with great accuracy. (2) Increases the speed of the pitch. A well renowned college pitching coach told me that he never recruits a pitcher without brush interference.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
She is doing some things well.

Obvious to all is how she basically steps off, she takes a really big step and points her front foot way out but there is no explosiveness.
The hop at the end means she is not getting all the front side resistance she should
Biggest thing I noticed is locked arm throughout the circle; as the arm passes 12 o'clock it should have a bend to it and no longer be locked along with the ball up at 9 oclcock
She has a HE elbow finish with a slight lean forward that should also be fixed

If it was me first thing I would go after is the arm circle bend/unlock at 12 at ball up at 9 and a better pronation at release

If you want an example of any of this look closely at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcEmdxuc30

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2016
She is a big, strong girl. She should be pretty good. But, she has problems that are stopping her from reaching her potential.

1) She is not getting the full benefit of internal rotation. She is finishing with HE (hello elbow) rather than pronation of the forearm. So, she is losing speed.

She should be doing this drill...perhaps 100,000 times or so should do it. Two big points for your DD: (A) Ball *UP* at 9. (B) Forearm rotation ("pronation") during release.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NE2GGn5mHWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2) The little hop at the end is a nasty habit. It saps her speed. She bends forward at release, causing her to get out of balance, so the she hops. I'm sure it looks and feels cool, but the fact is that the hop is reducing her speed. Her body (other than her arm) needs to come to a complete stop at release.

3) Her leg drive is weak. She should be in a sprinter's position at the start of the pitch.

4) I'm a little concerned that she is closing too much.

4) Brush interference (BI)...BI does two things: (1) Allows a pitcher to throw the ball very hard with great accuracy. (2) Increases the speed of the pitch. A well renowned college pitching coach told me that he never recruits a pitcher without brush interference.

Wow, thank you for the detailed breakdown!! Very very helpful. The things you pointed out (except brush interference) are all things we have been working on. I mentioned at the beginning post that she was opening her front shoulder. Do you think that this is an issue that also needs to be fixed or let it alone? She also has the tendency to have a bullet spin. We are having trouble getting her to have a consistent 12-6 rotation. Any feedback on that for me? Once again, thank you so much for your help & feedback.

Sep 29, 2014
If you are talking about at front foot plant I dont see a huge issue with open shoulder. You can see however the ball placement and locked elbow issue.

shoulderopen.JPGshoulder45.JPG

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She also has the tendency to have a bullet spin. We are having trouble getting her to have a consistent 12-6 rotation. Any feedback on that for me?

Sure...don't "fix" it. Don't waste another minute worrying about it.

In last years NPF championship, Monica Abbott threw almost exclusively bullet spin pitches.

Spend the time you were working on "fixing" her to teach her a good drop.

If you want a scientific explanation:

Pitching is about using pitches in combination to confuse a batter.

The amount of break on a pitch perceived by a batter is based as much, if not more, on the other pitches that your DD throws than on the movement of that specific pitch.

E.G.: Suppose Suzy throws a 60MPH fastball with 10RPS 12-6 rotation and a drop with 25 RPS. Sally, on the other hand, throws a 60MPH bullet spin fastball and a drop with 25RPS. Does Sally or Suzy have a better drop ball?

Sally's is the better drop. Even though two drop balls are identical, Sally's drop moves more relative to her fastball than Suzy's drop. Sally's fastball, because it has bullet spin, does not drop as much as Suzy's fastball. Therefore, the "delta" or difference between Sally's fastball and drop ball is more than the difference between Suzy's fastball and drop.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Since you seem really interested, the other thing she needs to work on is "adduction". She is not using her left arm for maximum effect.

Here is a video by Boardmember explaining adduction:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2sZ-pR3gotA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Boardmember is a little like Beetlejuice...say his name three times, and he might appear. So...Boardmember, Boardmember, Boardmember.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207