pitching BP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 19, 2009
Just wanted opinions on how to set up BP for a pitcher, we don't want to over use her arm.
Should we have a 1-1 count on the batter and batter either hits,SO or walks, of coarse pitcher will be going after batters / balls & strikes will be called. thanks

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2010
I run live hitting/BP like real innings. I have 3 pitchers and 2 catchers, and each batter gets a full live at bat..hit in play next batter, K or BB same thing...Have your other pitcher(s) and catcher hit first so they can switch out after 4-5 batters and they get their at bats too...you don't want to go anymore then that. Once the pitcher has thrown to 4-5 batters, I change the battery....and we continue that way..It moves real quick and keeps all the pitchers and catchers fresh.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would use a net in front of the pitcher, too. Especially, if she is just throwing BP and not trying to strike them out.

Jan 12, 2010
I don't get the purpose of this kind of drill other than learning to recognize a fastball out of the hand. So what? The only ones who benefit from live pitching under the circumstances described here are the batters - and that's a minimal benefit. How does the pitcher benefit at all from pitching batting practice without trying to strike out the batter. That's what pitching machines and coaches are for. Except for bunting practice, our pitchers are told to strike the batter out. The batter benefits because she gets to see what real pitches look like. Whether or not she gets a hit, she gets educated. But if you're going to do it, I agree with Amy.

Nov 19, 2009
the pitcher is to go after batter, this is not her team so there's no problem of throwing in if the plate gets crowded.
this is to be a pitchers work out ... game on
this is a HS team batting, the pitcher only plays TRAVEL... 15u

Jan 13, 2010
I want my batters and pitchers playing like its a game. Everyone benefits in that. Too much babying going on!

Nov 19, 2009
I agree with you coach Jim, If the batter has some difficulty in getting a hit then move her back to the tee and work more on mechanics...teach/ coach her

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch