Pitching advice - missing a lot left/right - form improvements

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
jryan15, I also believe you have the open and closed terms backwards to the way most people refer to them.

With regard to her shoulder rotation, I feel like something is not right with her initial shoulder rotation in that she goes from open (facing batter) to completely closed as she strides. Then she has to recover her shoulders from the fully closed position to get back to a partially open position. I wonder if maybe she should not be turning her shoulders so far back that she has to turn them back forward again to release.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Ya, short term memory loss combined with anxiously getting my post out :p. I remember retyping that and adding the explanation just to make sure there was no confusion for the analysts.

I'm still concerned about how far her shoulders turn since it a full 90 degrees while other pitchers don't always seem to go a full 90.

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Good advice and good learning. She does look like her elbow/forearm is bent in a manner that is putting the ball over her head towards the right side of her body which will affect her arm circle and the way she slides her back foot out to the right so far seems to be attributing to her sideways lean and could be one reason the gap between her forearm and thigh is so big. I will say it looks like to me she is close and her IR looks really good!!!

^^^ this, especially that the right-left control issues may result from compensating the body to stay on the power line when the rear foot is so wide. DDs PC likes to see the rear foot pretty much in line with the stride foot.

Also noticed the glove stops at the front of the thigh. Again, DDs PC likes to see it follow through and brush the buttock.

Mar 12, 2009
She is forcing her shoulder rotation as others have stated and the recommendations given should definitely help. You might tell her she needs to be open and throw across her body as a cue. My daughter does the same thing with her shoulder. I actually think it started or at least got noticeably worse when she started throwing her peel drop. It's like she thinks the hard shoulder rotation is forcing the ball down and the habit is bleeding off into her other pitches as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45