Pitching – Lot of Work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
Its different for everyone, but for me being a coach/father of a pitcher is very rewarding. It seems like we put in double the work. But its all in the preperation, and we know we have to over prepare if we want to have any kind of success. Seeing your team win a big tourney and your DD named M.O.P. makes all the hard work worth it. Something I will never forget.
TM

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
MOP usually is a basketball term......Most Outstanding Player. Not sure if I've ever heard it in BB or FP. Usually it's MVP.

Bet for this thread it's Most Outstanding Pitcher. We here will have All Tournament Pitcher Award, or State Pitching Award. Different terms for different parts of the country I guess.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Thanks GD, that explains it. Been to quite a few basketball tournaments , not willingly, but at those down here - the top player was awarded MVP.

Jul 9, 2010
I'm having a hard time with this split personality logic. I guess we're all different.

I've had about 20 ex-players move on to college (only about 8 I'd really take credit for managing their recruiting process). DD also plays, and she pitches, as she did since she was 10.

In fact, being a pitcher's dad, I think, gave me knowledge that a lot of other coaches lacked. I could help my pitchers make adjustments precisely because I had been to so many pitching lessons.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
I too have driven my daughter to lots of pitching lessons - but I didnt pitch - my time on the mound was pitching baseball, not in the circle pitching a softball. I relied for the most part on her pitching instructors over the years. The advantage I had with her is I knew the drills she needed to do as part of her warmup to be able to do her job in the circle. One of the big advantages I had over a lot of teams whose coach had a daughter pitching was that I knew that I wasnt a pitching coach and I relied on a real pitching coach. What I usually saw was a dad getting into it with his daughter in the circle over things he thought he knew because he drove his daughter to pitching lessons -as soon as we saw this start, game over, we owned them.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
no no no, these are people I know - in my general area who advertised themselves as pitching coaches, based on their daughter having pitching talent. One, we always called him the best guy on our team, he and his daughter would get mad at each other , with dad saying ' no you must throw the pitch like this ', and the daughter getting madder and madder, and then would get wild. Another i knew actually gave pitching lessons , for money, because he had pitching tapes.

Jul 9, 2010
I've seen that too.

My DD was fortunate enough to take lessons from Cindy Bristow, a Hall of Fame coach, who has a section on this site. Cindy is an awesome lady, and helped her tons.

I am a HUGE Cindy Bristow fan!

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
We got extremely lucky early on in my pitching dd's career in that I got to meet and spend some time talking to Lisa Fernandez. A bunch of the kind of questions that newbie parents had about a dd that may or may not have talent, I got to ask of the greatest softball player of all time. She was so incredibly gracious and patient with me - she is a class act and kept us from making a lot of early mistakes. She also gave me serious questions to ask of potential pitching coaches as we went through those very exciting early years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi